Natwest Credit card fraud - immediate refund?

mpeel68
mpeel68 Posts: 47 Forumite
edited 30 December 2013 at 2:22PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
On the 5th of December there were 3 fraudulent transactions on my account (supermarket home deliveries). I called them up about it soon after (since my card was blocked), and was told they'd look into it. Then I called again a couple of weeks later and they said they were sorry but that they hadn't passed on the details to refund team and they would do that soon. Finally I called today and was put through to Retailer Disputes who said the Fraud Team were "still looking into it" and hoped to have a resolution by the end of this week.

I'm slightly confused because I've read a couple of things online that suggest I should get an immediate refund unless they have evidence that I am acting fraudulently (which of course I am not). Does that apply to credit cards? It's pretty annoying to have my credit card (which I never otherwise use) in -£850 due to being the victim of fraud.

Also I called up the supermarkets in question (because I was curious to try and find out for myself who has used my card) - who refused to tell me anything without an order confirmation number due to data protection (which is a bit rich given the fact it's *my* card that's been used - but maybe correct?).

Does anyone know what the correct procedure is?

Thanks!

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    BCOBS 5.1.11 is your friend.

http://fshandbook.info/FS/html/handbook/BCOBS/5/1

Ask them to comply with it.
    (2) Where a payment from a banking customer's account was not authorised by the banking customer, a firm must, within a reasonable period, refund the amount of the unauthorised payment to the banking customer and, where applicable, restore the banking customer's account to the state it would have been in had the unauthorised payment not taken place.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mpeel68 wrote: »
    Also I called up the supermarkets in question (because I was curious to try and find out for myself who has used my card) - who refused to tell me anything without an order confirmation number due to data protection (which is a bit rich given the fact it's *my* card that's been used - but maybe correct?).

On that point: think about it. The supermarkets can't give you any information over the phone just because you want the information. Anybody could ring and say they are you. Your only option is to report the problems to the police http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/.

Also, you should probably raise a formal, written, complaint with your CC card provider. But there is a chance that they are of the view that you were somehow involved, or negligent, because the PIN would have been required for the purchases.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    On that point: think about it. The supermarkets can't give you any information over the phone just because you want the information. Anybody could ring and say they are you. Your only option is to report the problems to the police http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/.

Also, you should probably raise a formal, written, complaint with your CC card provider. But there is a chance that they are of the view that you were somehow involved, or negligent, because the PIN would have been required for the purchases.

The PIN wouldn't have been needed. These were cardholder not present transactions. The OP should have been refunded straight away by Natwest.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,842
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Out of curiosity what time frame is deemed as a reasonable period ?
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Reasonable = unspecified

It's what a judge thinks, should it done to court, but 28 days would be the upper limit.
  • opinions4u
    Buzby wrote: »
    Reasonable = unspecified

It's what a judge thinks, should it done to court, but 28 days would be the upper limit.
    The FOS would say the end of the next working day.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,842
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 30 December 2013 at 3:56PM
    opinions4u wrote: »
    The FOS would say the end of the next working day.

Is a source available at all?

I've waited nearly 3 weeks for my refund from Barclaycard.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    The PIN wouldn't have been needed

Ah yes, I missed the "home delivery" bit.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    mpeel68 wrote: »
    I'm slightly confused because I've read a couple of things online that suggest I should get an immediate refund unless they have evidence that I am acting fraudulently (which of course I am not).

If they don't have time to investigate the matter then how can they be certain that you are being truthful? Otherwise all they have is your word.
  • opinions4u
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    If they don't have time to investigate the matter then how can they be certain that you are being truthful? Otherwise all they have is your word.
    If they are slow starting the investigation they should refund pending the outcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure