Currys Online

Options
In the past, I've never had any issues with Curry's Online but the past week has been frustrating.

On Christmas Eve, my beloved Playstation hard-drive died, meaning that I had to spend Christmas Day actually communicating with my family instead. So terrible was the thought of this that I jumped straight on to my laptop to order a new 500GB hard-drive from Currys Online. I wanted a larger 1TB one but that was out of stock, so the 500GB would do for now. I chose Currys because they were (and still are) advertising a further 10% off using the code HDGPU10 at checkout - but also I like to use brands that are also represented locally in "shop"-form.

However, whenever I entered this code I would get the same message: "Sorry, that offer has now ended". I wasted a good hour trying to make this code work, testing alternative products and ways of entering the code but to no success.

I emailed customer.service@knowhow.com to report the issue of the code not working as advertised.

On Boxing Day, I had not yet received a reply (though I knew that if one had not come by usual close-of-play Christmas Eve that it would be a few more days coming anyway, so that's fine). I tried again to use the originally advertised code and failed again. However, seeing that the 1TB-size drive was in stock, I decided to place an order for that anyway, thinking that Currys should be able to retrospectively apply the extra 10% discount.

On 29th December, I received an email back from Currys. They asked me to call their sales team on their 0844 (6.2 per minute) number and they would then issue me with a temporary code. I was not satisfied with this. It is clear to me that the code they are advertising just doesn't work and, given that I had to provide them with my telephone number anyway, I don't see why I should have to pay to call them. Furthermore, I had already now ordered the larger, 1TB model. I responded to Currys asking if they could just apply the 10% discount to my purchase. I have received no response yet.

Anyway, this morning I received my large 1TB hard-drive. ...only it's wrong. Though the accompanying paperwork suggests it is a 1TB hard-drive, the box and the product shows that I have been sent the smaller 500GB one...

I will see what Currys can do but the whole affair has annoyed me. I'm sure I cannot be the only one who has experienced difficulties with the online code. If the offer has indeed ended then how can they be getting away with advertising it like this? If the offer is still ongoing but the code is wrong, how can they have not fixed the issue by now and how can they expect customers to have to chase it up by paying to call their sales team? It's all a bit shoddy to me.

...and to top it off by sending me the wrong product. Mistakes happen, I know, but it's a rather sour cherry on top. Rant over.

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 December 2013 at 9:56PM
    Options
    I haven't had an issue with Currys before,but I pre ordered the new PS3 Gran Turismo as a xmas pressy for hubby,knowing if the shops ran out at least you are guaranteed it,they took the order and the money.After about a week when it was released,still no sign of it.

Then i get an email to say they are out of stock and as it is an end of line item they will not get amy more in.Hang on,end of line!! Th game has only just come out!!

Anyway they did say they would refund the money and they did,but not very quickly.However they did me a favour in the long run as i got one cheaper elsewhere!

I am not surprised you are angry ,especially at the wrong item being sent.You are quite within your rights to return the item and they pay for that return.

Can you not get one now cheaper in the sales from another company? And did you also know you can replace the hard drive,quite cheaply actually.
  • ando-ando
    Options
    Thanks, though sorry to hear that you had problems. I am still waiting for Currys to resolve the issue. Apparently the phone number I have supplied them just leads to a "dead line", which is funny as I have double- and triple-checked the number I supplied and it's exactly the same as that which nobody else seems to have trouble calling me on. So, it's just the same response: "please can you call our sales team on 0844 561 1234".

I've even asked them whether I can keep the "wrong", smaller hard-drive and whether they can just refund the difference. They say this would mean I won't be covered by any warranty "as we have you down for a different product in our system". What a load of rubbish!

I've also just checked their website and they are still advertising the same non-working discount code. I've tried it again and the, "this offer has ended", message has come up again.

I think I will just ask for a full refund and be shot of them.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    ando-ando wrote: »
    Apparently the phone number I have supplied them just leads to a "dead line", which is funny as I have double- and triple-checked the number I supplied and it's exactly the same as that which nobody else seems to have trouble calling me on.

Just a thought, but do you have annonymous number call blocking set up on your phone? (the service from BT that won't allow any withheld numbers to call you).

Some call centres and companies are not able to call these numbers as their number is withheld and this could be why they can't get hold of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure