PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 30th December 2013

O/S Daily Monday 30th December 2013 This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Morning all

The weather sounds terrible although I haven't looked out

I'm off to work in a moment , Xmas is well and truly over :(

Need to do a clean up when I get back and some ironing .

Have a good day everyone xx
  • Good morning all,
    It is very windy here, not nice at all. Bitterly cold too.
    I won't be going out today. I will have a hoover through and get the ironing done. Need to write some sort of plan in my diary for what we hope to achieve in 2014.
    No idea what we are having for tea tonight, have to have a rummage in the freezer.
    I hope everyone has a good day and hugs to those who need them.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

Hugs to all those that are feeling sad/poorly x

Still dark outside, so not sure what the temperature is, but can hear the wind in the trees.

DH up and getting ready for work. I'm now showered, dressed and eating brekkie whilst on here - I'm taking DH in to work as we've loaned our other car to our friend - his car broke down and went to the garage the day after Boxing Day - but they only have 1 car and he needed to take his elderly mother back to her home after she has spent the Xmas break with them - he actually just asked if we could take her home or could he borrow the car to do this and return it to us. As I'm on leave at the moment and we have 2 cars it makes no real difference to us, so loaned him ours. He's hoping his will be ready today and he can go and collect it.

Lunch yesterday was the maple and mustard glazed gammon - yummy! - was really lovely and still plenty left - I was going to serve it tonight as ham, egg and chips - but have looked in the fridge and have other bits that need using up first - so have swapped ham, egg and chips to tomorrow night and will be making something else for tonight. Have a large pot of double cream that's not even been opened - I'm thinking of a pasta dish with that as a creamy sauce - maybe add a carton of passata to make a creamy tomato sauce - will then add some bacon and mushrooms. Can then use some of the remaining cream to go with HM mince pies for dessert for those that want some.

Have a rather large "to do" list - so will be working my way through that today and tomorrow - will just plod along - but we'll be taking all the decs down and getting stuff put back in to the loft - I can then hoover thro and have a general tiday. Have a couple of hot spots that need decluttering - these are my main aim for today - and to get washing, drying and ironing up to date. Had an empty wash basket Xmas Eve - and somehow even though I washed 3 x loads on Friday/Saturday - I still have a full wash basket this morning - think it must be breeding in there! If I can get three quarters of the "to do" list done I'll be more than happy.

Have spent some time last night researching some recipes and generally looking at what I have in stores/freezers so I can be as o/s as possible over the coming weeks. Want to try to really start using up the stuff I put in the freezer - not just making extra put it in the freezer and then not using it up - which is what I have been doing! The bottom drawer of my freezer is completely full of plastic tubes with LO's in it - so need to make a start at using them.

Time to crack on x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :santa2:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've made my calendar in Open Office, just need to print it. I've even included little spaces to record the girls' daily egg laying activities, and how many I've sold :D The diary is taking longer than I thought though.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Wind and rain here so the washing will be dried in the house.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I started cleaning the walls in the kitchen yesterday, I'm doing one a day. I decided to get the worst one out of the way first, the one above the cooker. Now I knew it could do with a wipe-down, but it didn't look too bad before I started, it must've been very evenly dirty :D I can't quite reach the top so I'm leaving that til last, will walk along the worktops for that. There's a lovely tidemark about six inches from the ceiling, it's quite disgusting.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The main part of my blanket is finished, I'm working on the border. Round two at the moment, I'll probably do five altogether.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Julie67 Have you tried htr for your case? It's still quite a small stitch so will look good I reckon. I had a play with DC stitch yesterday. If I turn at the end of each row to start the next row (you know, like normal people do! lol) I end up adding stitches. If I finish off, keep the work facing the same way and start a new row, I can get the stitch count right. You get a different effect too. It takes a little bit longer, but it's worth it I think. I don't have this problem with any other stitch – the top of all stitches look the same, I have no idea why DC is such a problem for me, lol.

We're going round to see friends this afternoon, they live about 15 minutes walk away. We were going to walk round (usually do, being so close) so mr tru can have a couple of drinks. But if this weather carries on, we'll go in the car.

I want to perfect my diary, so this morning will be spent swearing at the laptop :D
    [/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • mazdaa
    mazdaa Posts: 10 Forumite
    Ths is the first time i have replied so i hope i am doing this correctly.
    I had planned to sort out new chicken accomodation today until i saw the rain. maybe later. Planning a veg plot for this year that my son can help with, hopefully, as i would like him to enter veg into agri shows.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Morning all,

WM is on and when I've had my cereal I'll be pottering in the kitchen while DH & DS are still in their pits.

It's windy here, and I can here the sea so it's quite rough out there, maybe DH won't want to go out after all. He's spent so long sitting in watching TV that even he has got bored of it - but he gets so breathless trying to walk in the wind it worries him.

Woke up having been dreaming about my grandmother and heard myself saying "I must write that down" - so, "Stories my grandmother told me" should keep me busy this winter.

Dinner tonight will be the rest of the £4 gammon from Mr T; absolutely delicious.

WM is on - it will be busy for a while I think! not looking forward to the ironing :(

Have a good day and stay safe in the wind x
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Morning all

We've been up since 5 eeeek! its DS's birthday today so I had to get up early to wrap the presents, was meant to do it yesterday but my mother decided to come down late Saturday night with my brother and his girl friend so never got chance to do it, Dh is at the mo huffing and puffing trying to put the football table we bought him together, its no easy task made worse by him having man flu.

Well my mum went home last night, if I'm honest I'm not at all happy with her as the other day she said she was coming down to spend the day with my Ds on his birthday, well she then decided to come 2 days earlier than planned without any notice, and go home a day earlier!! without even leaving DS a birthday card or anything, I know money is tight for us all but even if she said she couldnt afford a card I'd have given her the money to buy him one if she was that skint!, the cheeky madam even asked before she went home if we were going to let him have his birthday cake so she could have a piece, to which I replied NO, its Jack's birthday tomorrow so that is when he'll have his cake! .... I'm so sorry to be ranting this early in the morning but she has really upset me.

Anyway! not much os going on here today, the weather is vile, bitterly cold, windy and raining, so a day playing with DS and eating lots of cake is in order, I do need to get the ironing out the way and finish my list of whats in the freezer ooooh and watch last nights episode of Marple.

Not sure what to have for tea this eve has forgot to get anything out of the freezer so it will be something quick and easy today, maybe macaroni cheese.

Hope you all have a lovely day...(((hugs))) to those that need them x
    G.C July £21.09/£100

• Morning all,another first time poster,on this thread,although when the kids start back to school wont have time in the mornings,so thought i would grab the chance while i can.
    I have to venture outside as got to take hubby to work and do a few jobs for my mum and dad.the dinner is already on a chicken stew in the slow cooker and going to try and make polenta dumbligs as i'm gf,
    this year or next i should say i need to get my act together,with spending and my house is a hoarders paradise so following a few threads on the forum.
    Hope everyone has a good day stay inside if possible
    Saving as much money as possible in 2014
    spc # 206
    50p savers club # 8
    weight lost 0/154lbs
    2014 grocery challenge £350 jan
  • Morning everyone. Sounds a bit windy again outside.
    Plan to take down the vertical blinds in the conservatory today and wash them. Starting them with a soak in a hot bath with star drops then into a pillowcase and into the washing machine. Hanging them back up in the conservatory with their weights in to dry.
    Also need to do some more sorting in my craft room, it's still looking very untidy in there!

Want to get some crocheting done today and watch Death Comes to Pemberley. I recorded all 3 episodes to watch in one sitting!

Planning on not leaving the house today. Need to go to my mums tomorrow, then to BF's mums on Wednesday then back to work on Thursday :-(
    BF's back is still agony. 3 weeks tomorrow for his surgery. I'm just hoping he will be able to manage London when we go on Sunday...

Hope everyone has a good day!
    the only debt left now is on credit cards! The evil loan has gone!! :j:j
  • Moorhen
    Moorhen Posts: 964 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Morning everyone,

Molly, Hilstep Hugs.

LW Hope that your furry visitors are behaving.

Mazdaa and gingermomma Welcome.

We had a lovely day in Manchester with all of OH's relatives yesterday but I am really glad that today is going to be quiet as I really need to tidy up a bit!
    I have already been chasing the recycling cardboard down the road in the wind!!

Have a lovely day everyone.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport