Santander!

Just an vent.
I have e-mailed Santander a complaint, only to be told it will take up to 8 weeks for a reply!
It is for an elder relation; each time he goes into the bank they seem to take advantage of him. Do they have any duty of care?
Or is it just their sales figures?

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's probably their sales figures, however without details any supposition is useless. The 8 weeks is a standard period after which the complaint can be escalated to the Financial Ombudsman without further reference to Santander. I hope you realise they can only investigate complaints from the account-holder.
  • Call them to complain much easier
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Call them to complain much easier

They still have up to 8 weeks to respond.
  • I know that they do not have to reply to me, as I am not the account holder. :mad:

My relation went into the bank to transfer money from his saving account to his currant account for Christmas, when the casher noticed that he did not have house insurance on the account (I cancelled it when I noticed they where charging him £800, and bought the same cover from Nationwide for £120) they frightened him into buying it "what would happen if your house burned down tonight! You would be homeless! A burden on your family!"

Sign here.....ka'ching and the nice personal banker from Santander will look after you.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Just an vent.
    I have e-mailed Santander a complaint, only to be told it will take up to 8 weeks for a reply!
    Do you know what "up to" means?
  • Do you know what "up to" means?
    Thank you :) opinions4u
    I been waiting 4 weeks so hopefully not to much longer, for the reply "due to data protection":cool:
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I suspect you'll only get a generic "we try to help all of our customers meet their needs reply". Any more would breach the data protection act.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If your elderly relative is a bit forgetful and doesn't remember that he already has home insurance, and can't defend himself from people taking advantage of him, perhaps now is the time to talk to him about Power of Attorney?
  • I think you are right pmduk, I will have to go into Santander with him, as he has twice tried to cancel this insurance policy.
    First time Santander claimed that they could not cancel the policy until he proved that he had House Insurance cover.
    Second time he went in with the Nationwide house Insurance policy, and the personal banker at Santander phoned Nationwide to cancel the policy. As Santander policy was better!
    I can not believe there could take advantage of a elderly confused Gentleman, I hope karma gets them.
  • I understand that would be a good idea innovate, but it is hard sometimes to know what to do for the best.

I am already on all the ultilities bills and maybe the time is coming to take a more active role, but I do not live near my relative, and that makes it more difficult as there is only so much you can do on the phone.

He is also still very active and independant and only needs a bit more time to make decisions after his stoke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure