Redundancy, going to be a carer...

Options
Hi. I do not know where to turn really for advice at the moment on this so I thought I would put in here just in case anyone has had similar to advise me. OK, here goes. :cheesy:

I have been working for this company for 16 years and just before Christmas I got told that they wanted to get have rid of me (in certain terms), not by dismissal but by a "mutual agreement". They have done this because (being a carer at home) I have had to come home for crisis situations quite a few times in the past year [*about 9 this year] and have had to take telephone calls at work (again because of my caring responsibilities at home) and they feel that my duties (of caring) is interfering with my ability to fulfill my job role. (Personally I do not feel that but there you are), so they want to do this mutual agreement for me to leave the company.

Now I do have my reservations on all of this but I do not want to work for a company that does not want to help me no longer (and they have been quite supportive before in the past).. However an mutual agreement is a voluntary thing and if I leave that way I will not be able to claim my mortgage though my insurance that I have paid for years upon years. They have agreed to let me go via redundancy (without specifying voluntary) and I can now claim carers allowance as there is no way I could get another job as my care responsibilities at home are great (which I have now applied for). The person I care for claims ESA - Support Group and DLA (Middle Rate).

My main problem is as following. With this redundancy I will be paid (after tax) about £14k. I need to pay off some debt and such like first and sort myself out that way. I will have enough money in that £14 to self-sustain myself for about 6-10 months. I can straight away claim IB but I have read that if you have money (£6k-£16k) they will take that in account (as capital) and not give you any IB but I do not know how long that is true for. This what I need to know.

I spoke to someone and they said that they do not want people to get redundancy and then buy a new car, a holiday, pay a lump or mortgage etc and such like and then say, oops i'm skint can I have IB please!. No, for me this is not the case. I need to pay certain things off as I will not have the chance again. So the question is... after I have got my redundancy money, how long can I self sustain for in the eyes of the IB people before they will not take in consideration that I had £14k from work. £14k does not last long and I do not want them saying in 6 months time (when I apply then) "Oh, you had £14k 6 months ago and that should have lasted you a year, or 2 years etc!!" because it wont. There must be a cut off point where I can claim IB and they not worry too much about what I had... Does anyone know?

Also, if I turned this around and claimed IB straight away, even though I probably wont get any IB but still get the entitlement on paper. Will I be able to claim my council tax rebate? Will I have the same amount of rights as though I am claiming and receiving IB money?

I hope this makes sense. If not. I will try and rephrase.

Comments

• bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They may not accept that "You need to pay off debt and sort yourself"
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Options
    You can't claim IB any more.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • wildwestfan
    Options
    There is no longer Incapacity Benefit (IB).

snap!
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I feel for you- it's not easy trying to hold down a job whilst caring for someone. Are you sure leaving your job was the best option? Did you take legal advice, discuss with ACAS etc?

I know there are pretty stringent rules re spending inheritance, redundancy payments etc- there are lots of posts you can search here about 'deprivation of capital' that you may like to read. They can treat your benefit entitlement as if you still have that money, even though you have used it to pay off debt, buy an essential car etc, so you need to proceed with care and professional advice
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You cant just choose to go into ESA (IB) the doctor decides this as to whether you are fit for work or not and supplies you with a ;fit note' (ex sick note'

You would claim JSA but be actively job seeking.

If neither of the above, then Im not sure what you could claim.

What makes you think you can claim IB, as far as I can see in your post, you aren't too ill to work.

Neither can I see that the word redundancy should be used. Redundancy means the job doesn't exist. The job you are leaving still exists, its just that you can't commit to the time to do it, so that in itself is confusing.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ImACarer
    Options
    Sorry. I made a mistake. I did not mean IB, I mean Income Support (IS)... So all those that responded to me please look again. My Bad.

I hear you when you say they still class you had that money if you spent it but that cannot stand forever can it? can it?
  • ImACarer
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    Is this another first time poster that never comes back?

Why would I never come back? I will if I can help or if anyone can help me....
  • ImACarer
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    You cant just choose to go into ESA (IB) the doctor decides this as to whether you are fit for work or not and supplies you with a ;fit note' (ex sick note'

You would claim JSA but be actively job seeking.

If neither of the above, then Im not sure what you could claim.

What makes you think you can claim IB, as far as I can see in your post, you aren't too ill to work.

Neither can I see that the word redundancy should be used. Redundancy means the job doesn't exist. The job you are leaving still exists, its just that you can't commit to the time to do it, so that in itself is confusing.

I see what you mean but that's what they have done. They have given me a settlement agreement. I was told be my union they can do this with a settlement agreement, because without it can be open to tribunal.

Sorry I mean IS, not IB. Me being stupid :(
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,995 Forumite
    edited 26 December 2013 at 5:50PM
    Options
    ImACarer wrote: »
    Why would I never come back? I will if I can help or if anyone can help me....

Thanks, there seem to be a few new posters today with complex problems who aren't coming back. Possibly posters using second user names. Sorry to have accused you.

Carer's allowance? assuming it still exists.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • ImACarer
    Options
    bryanb wrote: »
    Thanks, there seem to be a few new posters today with complex problems who aren't coming back. Possibly posters using second user names. Sorry to have accused you.

No worries. No, mine is a genuine query. In a way im helping the benefits system as I am going to support myself for as long as I can (without claiming, that is the real intention.) but how long do they think that my money is going to last for. If they think it is going to be for a year then at least I know but who knows.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure