Glasgow to London delay Sunday morning 22nd December ? entitled to compensation

edited 24 December 2013 at 3:20PM in Flight Delay Compensation
9 replies 951 views
martin1372martin1372 Forumite
56 Posts
edited 24 December 2013 at 3:20PM in Flight Delay Compensation
My wife our 2 children and my daughter friend were due to fly from Glasgow to Gatwick this morning. Flight BA2953. Got to the airport to be told flight delayed by 5hours (due to arrive Gatwick 13:47 instead of 08:55). The reason given was that the crew needed rest time.
However were switched onto flight BA1477 which arrived at Heathrow 11.07. I think they are entitled to compensation but it is unclear on the BA forum. Taken from the BA guide.
The Reduced Amount (50% reduction) applies if BA re-routes you on another service that gets you to your destination, but under the 2 / 3 / 4 hour delays mentioned above. If you are NOT rerouted AND your delay is below the number of hours shown above, you are not eligible for compensation under EU261. See section 5 on categories and section 7 for the separate arrangements for downgrades and finally Post 3 below has more detailed information on this area. In some cases BA will hand over a pre-paid debit card, holding this money - you need to check whether acceptance of this card is for goodwill, towards meeting their EU261 responsibilities or both.

I have just been to court with Thomas Cook and won so I have a bit of knowledge but unsure on this one and advise needed.

Replies

• David_eDavid_e Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    martin1372 wrote: »
    I have just been to court with Thomas Cook and won so I have a bit of knowledge but unsure on this one and advise needed.

Could you post on the BA thread to avoid cluttering the forum.
  • I am looking for advice as to whether I have a claim. That is why I have not posted on the BA thread.
  • JPearsJPears Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    martin1372 wrote: »
    I am looking for advice as to whether I have a claim. That is why I have not posted on the BA thread.
    Erm, which is what the BA thread is for.....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • I am asking the question whether I can claim compensation as they were delayed just over 2hours and had to arrive at a different airport. I have amended the thread.
  • Mark2sparkMark2spark Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the final arrival time at Gatwick was over 3 hours then you *might* have a claim. That's the starting point. Whether they claim EC's, or not, is the 2nd hurdle.
    Read the EU261/2004 Regulation yourself (linked in the FAQ's) and see the wording for yourself.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might just have had something to do with the weather. I drove in the worst storm I have ever experienced yesterday, had it not been to attend a funeral I wouldn't have moved outside the door. As you will be aware weather is outside the airlines control and they clearly offered an alternative flight which was accepted, I see no claim whatsoever
  • Mark2sparkMark2spark Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    But if the alternative flight departed from the same original departure airport Alan, then 'weather' affecting the original flight is a harder EC to justify, surely?
  • VaubanVauban Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think this was weather related. It happened a couple of days ago - before the big storm.
  • The original delay was on Sunday morning. The Glasgow to Gatwick flight was 5hours delayed as the crew did not have enough rest time. My wife and the 3kids then transferred onto the Heathrow flight. They landed at Heathrow 2hours 15minutes delayed. They were offered free transport to Gatwick but declined and took the tube into Central London.
    The issue here is to do with timing. BA cannot claim extraordinary circumstances. I have already been to court with Thomas Cook and defeated them on extraordinary circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides