We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Tracking Apps?

Options
12346»

Comments

• JizzleMonkey
    Options
    I use a pocket diary to write spending down and then transfer it to gnucash when I'm at the computer.

As no one has mentioned gnucash. It is full accounting software which is open source and free and available on linux, windows and Mac. The thing I like is that you can track all your accounts - mortgage, credit cards, loans, bank accounts, cash as well as see what the spending goes on. The downside is that there is a bit of a learning curve as you get used to it although the documentation is excellent. There is also a companion android app but I haven't tried it out as my diary works for me.
  • SpecialBrew_2
    Options
    I've been using YNAB on the PC and on my Android phone since the end of September and would not be without it. It had already saved me enough money to pay for itself two or three times over by the time the trial had expired and despite the fact it had been reinforcing a more financially-aware mindset within me with each passing day, I had no problem with forking out for the full version.

It can sometimes feel frustrating adhering to the rule of not actually assigning cash to a forthcoming expense until that money is actually in your bank or pocket (which makes perfect sense anyway!), but I'm often alerted to potential problems because of this and can see that I'll need to scale back spending in one area if I'm going to be able to fund another. On the plus side, more than once I've looked at my account balance and wondered where I'm going to find the money for a particular bill, only to look at my categories and realise that the account balance contains a sum that I'd already budgeted for to pay the bill in question some weeks ago.

I'm no stranger to financial disorganization and still live far too near the edge of financial disaster for comfort, but my net worth has grown (or rather my net deficiency has shrunk!) each month since I started using the program, without depriving us of a single thing. More importantly, the amount I typically pay in bank charges every month has gone from extortionate to negligible (even none-existent sometimes). That matters a lot to me - I hate the idea of stuffed suits profiting from my poverty or stupidity with a passion.

Like anything else that's a bit different, the software might have a tiny bit of a learning curve but it's worth it in bucketloads and I can't recommend it highly enough.
    December 'Make £10 A Day' Challenge - £1.82/£155.00
  • happybunny86
    Options
    I've been using YNAB on the PC and on my Android phone since the end of September

I only have a tablet and phone now - No laptop. Really wish they'd bring out a version that you can use without a desktop/laptop!!
    Pay off Debts by Christmas 2015 = DEBT FREE! :)
  • StressedSteph
    Options
    I have just downloaded the 35 day Free trial of YNAB.

Its quite a change from the usual way I have budgeted before, but then NONE of those worked so maybe YNAB will be the one to work for me.

Its a little frustrating if you are weekly paid like we are, it would be much nicer to bank a full months wage on the 1st and then be able to allocate all the months bills straight away to see what you are left with. It would also be nice to forecast, but again on previous programmes I have used (MS Money) forecasting is a fairystory that never comes true anyway as i haven't been able to curb my miscelleaneous spending. :mad:

I am going to perservere with YNAB and hope it is finally the programme that suits me and helps me stay on track. x
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use account tracker and now in third year. Paid for app but only a couple of pounds. The budget and reporting is very good. I categorise everything and mirror all my online accounts and even have a purse account which mirrors my actual cash in my purse. Every transaction is in there and I can see at a glance how I am doing. At any point in the month I can see how the money is looking as it displays all outgoings due.
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • ellisthomas86
    Options
    There are lot more tools in the market but the one that I have been using for the sake of spending (expense) tracking is the cloud based expense reporting software from Replicon.
  • Broke_Kitty
    Options
    I have found an app I really like! It's called 'OnTrees' and it is basically a UK version of Check.

I can see all my bank accounts and credit cards and if I click on them it also shows me transactions. Literally the only thing I can't do is move money/make payments.

Very useful to be able to see everything in one place! Only thing I can't see is my loan but that is going to be paid off within 6 months.
    LBM moment Nov 2013
    Barclaycard 0% [STRIKE]£2,719.64[/STRIKE] £1,575.22 Virgin 0% [STRIKE]£3,224.00[/STRIKE] £2,533.08 MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1,994.72[/STRIKE] £2,473.53Lloyds Card 0% [STRIKE]£1740[/STRIKE] £1,260 Loan 22.80% APR [STRIKE]£3,585.63[/STRIKE] GONE:j Invisalign 0% [STRIKE]£2,493.26[/STRIKE] GONE :jOriginal Total: [STRIKE]£13,120.17[/STRIKE] Now: £7,841.43
  • Mat_Lock
    Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just found OnTrees when I saw it on Noddle.

I can't seem to add any bank accounts though, it doesn't like my credentials when I put them in. As Halifax have a key code login process.

Has anyone got it working properly?
  • Broke_Kitty
    Options
    Mat_Lock wrote: »
    I just found OnTrees when I saw it on Noddle.

I can't seem to add any bank accounts though, it doesn't like my credentials when I put them in. As Halifax have a key code login process.

Has anyone got it working properly?

I'm not with Halifax unfortunately but I got my Lloyd's accounts, my barclaycard, MBNA and virgin credit cards set up without a hitch!

For Lloyd's I had to put in my password and full memorable information.
    LBM moment Nov 2013
    Barclaycard 0% [STRIKE]£2,719.64[/STRIKE] £1,575.22 Virgin 0% [STRIKE]£3,224.00[/STRIKE] £2,533.08 MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1,994.72[/STRIKE] £2,473.53Lloyds Card 0% [STRIKE]£1740[/STRIKE] £1,260 Loan 22.80% APR [STRIKE]£3,585.63[/STRIKE] GONE:j Invisalign 0% [STRIKE]£2,493.26[/STRIKE] GONE :jOriginal Total: [STRIKE]£13,120.17[/STRIKE] Now: £7,841.43
  • Mat_Lock
    Mat_Lock Posts: 2,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not with Halifax unfortunately but I got my Lloyd's accounts, my barclaycard, MBNA and virgin credit cards set up without a hitch!

For Lloyd's I had to put in my password and full memorable information.

yes I could imagine I can input my credit cards but all pretty useless without my bank too :(

oh well back to my little black book of figures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport