We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Spending Tracking Apps?

Options

Comments

• allthingsmustpass
    Options
    Another very useful free tool is microsoft money deluxe plus. It is a pc based software but extremely useful - you can even reconcile the accounts by downloading most bank/credit card statements

I find those less useful as even though you can download card statements your statements won't tell you exactly what you bought so you can't keep a good track of where you money is going.

Especially true with cash purchases! Its those little habits that add up and make you wonder where the money went rather than the bigger purchases you're very aware of.

Spending Log for iPhone!
  • Broke_Kitty
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions guys! I'm going to try a few out in the new year and see which one(s) I like best! Thanks!
    LBM moment Nov 2013
    Barclaycard 0% [STRIKE]£2,719.64[/STRIKE] £1,575.22 Virgin 0% [STRIKE]£3,224.00[/STRIKE] £2,533.08 MBNA 0% [STRIKE]£1,994.72[/STRIKE] £2,473.53Lloyds Card 0% [STRIKE]£1740[/STRIKE] £1,260 Loan 22.80% APR [STRIKE]£3,585.63[/STRIKE] GONE:j Invisalign 0% [STRIKE]£2,493.26[/STRIKE] GONE :jOriginal Total: [STRIKE]£13,120.17[/STRIKE] Now: £7,841.43
  • Non_compos_mentis
    Options
    I find those less useful as even though you can download card statements your statements won't tell you exactly what you bought so you can't keep a good track of where you money is going.

Especially true with cash purchases! Its those little habits that add up and make you wonder where the money went rather than the bigger purchases you're very aware of.

Spending Log for iPhone!

As they say the output is only as good as the input.

For it to work effectively, you need to input the spending as you normally do and then download the statements to undertake a reconciliation.

As for cash, the best way I find is to create a "cash account". Every time you withdraw cash, you transfer to the cash account and then track every spending.

Like I said, it works for me but doesn't mean that it works for everyone.
  • Learning2Budget
    Options
    I use easymoney on android. Simple basic but keeps me on track. L2B.x
    LBM 2008 [STRIKE]£45,091.23[/STRIKE] eek: now £7889:T Debt free date 18/07/2018 :)
  • Andy_Bee_1
    Options
    Just a quick shout from us often forgotten Window Phone users - yes we exist :D

As all Windows Phones come with Mobile Office built in, you can just open your Excel spreadsheet on it like you would at home on your PC, and even pin it to the start screen for easy access.

(This requires you to save it to SkyDrive, or send it to yourself in an e-mail to open it on your phone.)
  • desiman
    desiman Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Toshl is a great one for android
  • LuckyPenny
    LuckyPenny Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Hi
    I use a free app called Spending tracker by MH Riley Ltd Finance. Its a free app and you can record all your income and expenses. Expenses have categories which are limited to clothes, eating out, entertainment, fuel, gifts, holidays, kids, shopping, sports, travel and general. It has worked for me and if I can't find a suitable catageory I put it in general and you can add a note to it. You can get basic reports i.e. spend per category in £'s or as a %, per week, month or year. You can upgrade the app for £1.99 but I have used it all this year and never felt the need to upgrade.

Good luck
    Competition wins £13,999.82 [\COLOR]
  • Catslovelycats
    Options
    I was going to recommend Account Tracker (it's what I use) - but see that's already been suggested.
  • Non_compos_mentis
    Options
    LuckyPenny wrote: »
    Hi
    I use a free app called Spending tracker by MH Riley Ltd Finance. Its a free app and you can record all your income and expenses. Expenses have categories which are limited to clothes, eating out, entertainment, fuel, gifts, holidays, kids, shopping, sports, travel and general.

This is not quite true. You can create new categories in the free version.

To create new categories just go to "categories" (at the bottom, 2nd from the right) and then hit "+" (top right), you are able to create new categories.
  • allthingsmustpass
    Options
    If you want a completely customisable one spending log lets you change everything.. categories, accounts, etc etc. & don't forget that one off 69p cost instead of the 'free' ones that are rather dishonest with their hidden costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport