Gas back boiler

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels
4 replies 3.7K views
fleurfleur Forumite
97 Posts
Hopefully I will be moving soon to a house that has a back boiler. I've never had a property with a gas back boiler before, years ago use to have a back boiler that you fed from the top with coal.
Are these gas back boiler efficient? I think it was fitted in the 80's. Also, there is a old style gas fire in front of the boiler, would it be possible to change that to electric ?(I've a new electric fire which I'm not leaving behind)

Replies

• CanuckleheadCanucklehead Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Hi

Your back boiler will be anything between 79% down to 65% efficient as listed on the Sedbuk website http://www.sedbuk.com/ As compared to over 90% for new condensing ones.(Your boiler may even be obsolete)
    You cannot replace the fire front unless it is one that is specified by the manufacturer.
    HTH.

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • fleurfleur Forumite
    97 Posts
    thankyou for the advice. It will have to stay as it is for awhile, unless I could get one of those government grants to have it replaced. I'm to scared to ask how much a new boiler would cost.
  • plumduff55plumduff55 Forumite
    591 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭
    Hi, I had a back boiler gas central heating system installed about 4 years ago and I am very happy with it.

I have heard that council tenants in nearby streets are all having their back boiler heating replaced and they have been told it is now illegal !!!

Is there any truth in this ?
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • plumduff55plumduff55 Forumite
    591 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭
    Hi again, I have got an answer to my previous post by phoning the supplier of my system.

Back boilers are not illegal but is is practically impossible to have a new system installed as Government legislation means you have to satisfy very strict criteria when having new central heating!
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals