what to write on a christmas card

New Post Advanced Search

what to write on a christmas card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
18 replies 3.5K views
moremoremoremore Forumite
518 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
My SiL has just lost a nephew under in exceptional circumstances and very sudden, I am not sure what to put on her Christmas card. I do not normally send Christmas card to them but have spoken to her many times recently due to other illness in the family. Not even sure that I should send a Christmas card.

Any help please. :o

Replies

• margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just write 'Thinking of you at this sad time'. No one can object to that. Choose your Christmas card carefully - maybe not the jolly red man jumping up and down, something like a Christmas scene in snow or a Nativity scene.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't send a Christmas card- the season implies jollity etc which she will not be feeling. Why not a blank message card (which could have seasonal flowers picture) where you can write something like "Thinking of you", or a New Year card-" with all good wishes for the forthcoming year." Or write a few lines as a letter.
    I think a Christmas card is an unwise choice because we always associate this time of year with being with the family and she has just lost a member of her close family so it is emphasising her loss.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• whitesatinwhitesatin Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I lost my best friend this time last year. I decided it to be inappropriate to send a Christmas card to her family so I didn't.

This year I have decided only to send cards to people I don't see throughout the year anyway so won't have the dilema of whether or not to send one to her family.
  • scotsbobscotsbob Forumite
    4.6K posts
    No idea what a SIL is but I would send a humorous card to cheer him/her up and help them get over their sadness.
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SIL

Probably sister-in-law.

I wouldn't send a card, but would it be an appropriate time to consider a visit. If now isn't the right time, then maybe later?
    Just a thought.
  • WantToBeSEWantToBeSE Forumite
    7.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    scotsbob wrote: »
    No idea what a SIL is but I would send a humorous card to cheer him/her up and help them get over their sadness.

Just my opinion, but i'd say that this was hugely inappropriate.
    A card isnt going to 'cheep them up' after losing a child .
  • scotsbob wrote: »

I am not sure that would be well received.

I would go with a neutral xmas card such as a landscape scene, and an appropriate personal message, or even a blank generic card with room for your own message rather than the inappropriate under the circumstances jolly verses.
  • hornetgirlhornetgirl Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have friends who lost their son in terrible circumstances earlier this year. I'm sending them a traditional style card and will write something along the lines of "Hope you are able to find some peace this Christmas." I don't want to not send anything at all as I don't get to see them often (they live abroad) and want them to know we're thinking of them, but realise they are unlikely to be feeling very jolly.
  • Marmaduke123Marmaduke123 Forumite
    569 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I think I would send a Christmas card, but be careful about the design and the printed message. Both need to be neutral and not jolly or wishing happiness. I wouldn't want to miss her out or send a different type of card if I normally sent a Christmas one.

I would just say something like "thinking of you" and whatever else seems appropriate, the same kind of thing that you would write on a sympathy card at another time of year.
  • WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Just my opinion, but i'd say that this was hugely inappropriate.
    A card isnt going to 'cheep them up' after losing a child .

The SIL has lost a nephew, not her own child, surely?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support