Phew - Ryanair's new bag allowance left out in their email - but covered in T&C

Options
pseeker_2
pseeker_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
edited 10 December 2013 at 8:51PM in Flights, currency & car hire
I don't usually even read that email, but since the changes are coming:

Free 10kg Cabin Bag Allowance
There is a free 10 kilo cabin bag allowance per person (except infants). Only one item of cabin baggage is permitted and all personal items must be carried within the one cabin bag.

Curiously the LINK from this paragraph leads you to the FEES table... so unless you know about it, and scroll back to the cabin bag allowance section, you're left in the dark.... aehm... dark social engineering?

So I panicked a bit and was going to ask for advice... luckily the small bag is there:

http://www.ryanair.com/en/terms-and-conditions#regulations-cabinbaggage

exactly as Martin&Co had covered http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2013/10/ryanair-loosens-hand-luggage-rules-but-most-charges-stay-sky-high

PS: I have a feeling I didn't see it in the T&C a few days ago... nevermind.

TBH I wouldn't trust Ryanair ushers (bless them) even if I was holding newspaper with Mr Leary shouting the change from the front page...

Comments

• SaveTheEuro
    Options
    It clearly shows on the boarding pass that two bags are permitted as hand luggage.
  • I_like_saving_money
    Options
    Thing is it may vary from airport to airport as there was a program in the summer where the airport said Ryanair and Easyjet customers could take a bad of duty free in addition to their hand luggage, but at the gate they would not allow them to take their bottles of Sangria unless it fitted in their one bag.
  • TurnUpForTheBooks_2
    TurnUpForTheBooks_2 Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2013 at 2:47PM
    Options
    Thing is it may vary from airport to airport as there was a program in the summer where the airport said Ryanair and Easyjet customers could take a bad of duty free in addition to their hand luggage, but at the gate they would not allow them to take their bottles of Sangria unless it fitted in their one bag.
    Yes I agree things may change variously from one Ryanair airport to another, but the one 10kg plus separate handbag allowance is the worst Ryanair passengers can safely expect for the moment.

I think it is important to note that the second cabin bag dimensions are quite small (35x20x20cm) so that means "the second bag" really is just a ladies handbag or camera bag size or I guess they will allow a separate laptop bag instead.

In my experience it the most significant change of cabin bag policy for quite some time from Ryanair and it has yet to be bedded-in. I have not yet noticed small print that says that the two bags together must weigh less than 10kg for example. As the OP suggested, the small print may be found in different guises all over the show - on the website in maybe two places, on the boarding pass, and in reminder emails sent prior to check-in. The words used in each of these places are not necessarily very consistent!

At an airport I use regularly it has resulted in the pre-security weighing machine being removed (at the moment!). Throughout the previous long period of the most rigorous of Ryanair's cabin baggage regimes there were always airport exceptions in various places around Europe. I remember one where passengers were encouraged (by duty free store notices mentioning compliance with Ryanair's locally negotiated rules) to take a 20 pack of beers. The mention of a bottle of Sangria too much might possibly have arisen from a safety issue if it was being waved around at the gate instead of stowed more safely in a bag. Strictly speaking, glass bottles in carrier bags should not be stowed in overhead luggage for example. Clearly a bottle not in a bag is just as unsafe in an aircraft if it rolls around on the floor!

Had I resorted to my poachers pocket inner jacket last time, I reckon I could easily have got through with 20kg. My previous record was 19kg with one bag showing but that was a bit of a struggle! As it was, this time I put 10kg in the hold as I couldn't be bothered with the inconvenience and uncertainty - not very moneysaving perhaps - sorry!
    From the late great Tommy Cooper: "He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.' "
  • Mildred1970
    Options
    This is going to be fun on a full flight...

''Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.''

So assuming it's 1st on keep their bags and the ground staff will start taking them off passengers at the gate once they have counted 90 on board?

I suppose at least now everyone can take a smaller bag so phones, wallets, paperwork etc won't have to be removed to the hold but I can imagine there will be some pretty peed off people if they start to enforce this :eek:
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So approx 70 bags will be tagged at the departure gate to be put in the hold...........speedy boarding it aint!
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2013 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Are you allowed a bottle of wine in a duty free bag? It doesn't exactly match their second small bag sizes, so wondered if the media reports - that you can take a duty free bottle - are inaccurate? Size is here:
    http://www.stanstedairport.com/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/stansted-passengers-to-benefit-early-from-ryanair-bag-change

Planning to pack my essential tablets in my handbag in case they check my main bag! Think this new rule will mean a few more passengers buy expensive priority boarding.
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    antenna wrote: »
    So approx 70 bags will be tagged at the departure gate to be put in the hold...........speedy boarding it aint!

I've not seen them do it. And my recent flights were nearly full.
  • SaveTheEuro
    Options
    pigeonpie wrote: »
    Are you allowed a bottle of wine in a duty free bag? It doesn't exactly match their second small bag sizes.

In the words of Ryanair:

"From 1 Dec, Ryanair will allow passengers to bring a 2nd small carry-on bag (small ladies handbag or small airport shopping bag) no bigger than 35 x 20 x 20 cms which will allow a bottle of wine or equivalent to be carried."
  • Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the words of Ryanair:

"From 1 Dec, Ryanair will allow passengers to bring a 2nd small carry-on bag (small ladies handbag or small airport shopping bag) no bigger than 35 x 20 x 20 cms which will allow a bottle of wine or equivalent to be carried."

Has anyone tested how strict they are? I have a daypack that's about 35 x 23 x 15 so it's slightly too wide as a second bag. I figure if I leave it half empty it will bend enough to fit? It would certainly be good to have a second bag, if they're putting the first one in the hold!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure