Flight compensation offered then cancelled

Hi
I was delayed on a flight back from lanzarote last month and was originally offered £1023 by TC in the form of vouchers. This was under reg216/2004. I called them and asked for money and they took my bank details to arrange a BACS transfer.

A few days later I got an email saying they were awfully sorry but the claim was now rejected because I had applied a friends and family 10% discount when booking, this was for £116.

I have checked with the CAA and yes this is correct!! Regulation is if you get a reduced fare not open to public then you can't claim. Although does say corporate programmes are covered. I've asked the CAA what the definition of a corporate programme is.

Any suggestions on what I can do about this??.. Seems rather unfair.

One I never knew I was giving up any rights as a passenger when I booked with the discount and is there original offer binding?? Should I proceed with a small claim? Is it worthwhile.

Just my luck I got a discount but then lost the chance of getting 1000 back. Lol

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Unless either you work for, or one of the friends/family works for the airline or TC in some capacity and that is the reason you were given the discount then TC are talking bull!

You are presumably a member of the public and took advantage of a discount available to other members of the public who qualified via a 'friends and family' discount.

Issue a legal claim.

I certainly wouldn't make that assumption - quite the opposite.

But OP should clarify
  • No I don't work for them. My friends sister did so gave me the code.

CAA said its because it's not a offer for general public.
  • I agree with the CAA in this instance, you wouldn't be entitled to compensation.

Your only recourse would be to sue TC for breach of contract on the basis that they made an offer to settle and you accepted that offer.
  • Anyone any ideas what a corporate programme would be?
  • It means something like Avios, where you can collect points on your credit card (for instance), i.e. without having to be part of a 'frequent flyer program.'

I'm afraid this doesn't come under the heading of a corporate programme.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure