Time to pay the piper, butcher, the baker and candlestick maker!

Options

Comments

• threepenny_bit
    Options
    5th NS day so far and still can't think of anything I need really - trying to keep going till after the weekend if possible.
    Had bought a money box in the sales for $6 instead of $40 and is one of those that adds up the money as you put it in. I have $50.11 in it so far and am enjoying hunting for roadkill change etc to add lol! I was thinking of doing just $1 and $2 coins but the small change adds up as well so everything is going in. It is very gratifying to watch the numbers change.
    I also committed to the $1 in week 1, $2 in week 2 and am doing that online so I don't actually have the cash at home. Not sure I will be able to put away the larger sums at the end of the year but every little counts.

Need to have my hair cut in the next couple of weeks, so trying to get creative about where that cash will come from.
    EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're doing really well :)
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • The_Moo
    The_Moo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm enjoying reading your updates.

Was it you and your partner getting married or one of your children?
  • leicestersq
    Options
    I would look at the interest rate being charged on the mortgage and you other debts.

Only overpay on the mortgage if the other interest rates are lower than your mortgage rate. If not, throw any spare cash you have at the higher rate loans first of all. You will find that if you do this then they will be cleared more quickly (obviously) and that later on you have more money to repay your mortgage than you would have done, enabling you to pay that off quicker than if you had overpaid the mortgage sooner.
  • threepenny_bit
    Options
    The_Moo wrote: »
    I'm enjoying reading your updates.

Was it you and your partner getting married or one of your children?

It was my eldest son who got married - it was a lovely day and went by so fast. Am really pleased that I was able to save some money as in the past I would have just bought stuff and worried later :)

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • threepenny_bit
    Options
    There's some great ideas on this page, glad I came across it plus helpful shares. Saving money is possible in this day and age ...thanks for sharing such a detailed account of debts and how to tackle them.
    Thankyou - I can't take credit for them though as I have been trawling this site and using other peoples ideas as well :)
    Good luck with your saving!

• threepenny_bit
    Options
    I would look at the interest rate being charged on the mortgage and you other debts.

Only overpay on the mortgage if the other interest rates are lower than your mortgage rate. If not, throw any spare cash you have at the higher rate loans first of all. You will find that if you do this then they will be cleared more quickly (obviously) and that later on you have more money to repay your mortgage than you would have done, enabling you to pay that off quicker than if you had overpaid the mortgage sooner.

Thankyou - I know you are right but it is hard to change everything all at once isn't it? I have changed the order I pay things so that the mortgage isn't being overpaid with the exception of making it to the nearest round number lol!

• threepenny_bit
    Options
    Really tough day today - I had to post our taxes and that cost me $12 as it had to have a tracking number. Also we needed shower gel and have been using all of the samples and hotel giveaways but simply used them all. This put me over the January $100 budget for shopping by a few dollars and then I bought some peanuts that I didn't even like to cheer me up lol!
    Have to sort out the pantry cupboard to see what we have for dinners next week - we have loads of meat and veg but not sure what else. If I don't sort things I resort to pre made food or quick dinners rather than cooking from scratch and that is too expensive.
    Wish me luck finding something good for tea :)

• threepenny_bit
    Options
    Saved extra $50 - 25 from clothing, $15 from entertainment and $10 from gifts as we don't have any birthdays coming up except for mine!
    Put this to CCA - felt quite good :)
    Am wondering about using the money in my cash bank every time it gets to $100 rather than saving in the pot for the whole year. Not sure what other people do about this?

• threepenny_bit
    Options
    NSD #2 today.
    Earned 68 swag bucks today so I now have 1001 and enough for a $10 card for a few places. I am thinking I will try to earn more and use as money for gifts. I just find it a bit tricky to get all of the swag bucks lol! I am sure I will get better though.
    We are having chilli that I froze after the evening part of the wedding which was at home - love having dinners in the freezer and no effort to make a nice meal.
    Still trying to work out how to pay for hair cut and colour - need about $80 :(

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure