Weekly Spend Challenge W/C 8th December 2013

Options
EverTheOptimist
EverTheOptimist Posts: 2,694 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 December 2013 at 10:13PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Hello everyone. Welcome to the Weekly Spend Challenge. This challenge is open to anybody, no matter what financial place they are in.

On this thread please post an amount of money you wish to stay below within the week (Sunday to end of working day on Friday). This can be pennies or thousands it depends on the individual. Then next Saturday report back and pledge for the following week. The challenge runs from Sunday to Friday so we don't include Saturdays but feel free to change the rules to suit you and include Saturdays or start on a different day.

Feel free to update this thread with daily spends if that keeps you on track. We colour code the results as below:

Green - within budget
Red - over budget
Purple - zero spend
Orange - made money over the week

This is a little bit of fun but for many it highlights the fact that maybe that magazine/chocolate bar isn't needed. Hopefully your spending habits can be changed forever.

Moozie was the founder of this challenge and here is a quote taken from her:

Originally Posted by Moozie:
"Good afternoon lovely DFWs Now for anyone looking in, please feel free to join - the more the merrier! Basically, decide on the amount you want to spend up to from Sunday until the end of the working day on Friday then pledge it here and off we go! The challenge is about incidental spending and not for stuff that should be budgeted elsewhere such as bills, groceries, debt repayment etc but you decide what to include at the end - this is about changing your habits and improving your recording of your spends more than anything else. Have a great week everyone and keep it low!!! Moozie x"

Good Luck Everyone

W/C 1st December 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £15 / £13.25
Mooomin - £54 / £45
Sedge123 - £25 / RED
Mrs Cheshire - £2 / £2
Munchin - £40 / £5.85
Bearacus - £80 / £88.11
Jonesy88 - £10 / £10
Cabriolean - £20

W/C 8th December 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £30
Mooomin - £65
Munchin - £30
Jonesy88 - £25
Bearacus - £80
Mrs Cheshire - £5
Sedge123 - £25
Casperthefriendlyghost - £4
Flyinggiraffe - £20
Splodgethefirst - £0
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Comments

• Sedge123
    Sedge123 Posts: 597 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2013 at 12:00PM
    Options
    I'm in again please. Can you put me down for £25 again please?

Last week was £25/£27 so just red - grrrr!!
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
  • EverTheOptimist
    edited 10 December 2013 at 6:18PM
    Options
    Plans for the week

Sun - meeting friends for coffee, haven't seen them in ages - £10
    Mon - big blitz of housework and put Xmas tree up. And get little man weighed
    Tues - nothing planned
    Weds - baby group and end of year meeting. I've been invited even though I'm on mat leave, they're asking for donation of tins for local homeless shelter instead of cards etc - £5
    Thurs - get my nails done - £22
    Fri - drive down to hubby's work as it's his Xmas ball. Will need petrol, lunch, brekkie for the following morning - £60, £15, £10
    Sat - driving home (for Xmas :D)

= £30 to cover Sun, weds, and lunch on fri.
    (Nails, petrol and brekkie all covered elsewhere)

I've decided to show all my plans for the week, so I don't feel like I'm cheating when I spend.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm putting £5 this week!'
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • bearacus
    bearacus Posts: 824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm in again for £80

My budget is for both me(housewife) and husband(shift worker) and includes any spends made over the week that don't come out of our other budgets. The reality is my husband goes the shop more than me and most spends are for him/his work but to not include them in my budget would just be tricking myself as most days are nsd for me personally.But in reality the money is still being spent.
    Just to show my situation and being in the red the last two weeks isn't a good feeling. I'll do better this week.

Bearacus x

NW-£0 Cap one-£76 HSBC small-£359.51 (0% Aug16) HSBC car- £3511.46 (0%Oct17) HX car/baby- £2731.57 (0%Nov16) HX -£1198.66 (0% Jul16) Argos- £50(BNPLMay)
    Credit card debt-£7877.20 (4/3/16)
    Car Loan - £21,777 - Now - £12,383.36 Mortgage- £154,315.77
    LLoyds loan- paid 28/1/11 LLoyds O/D paid 9/9/10
    New LBM- £ 28/2/2016
  • EverTheOptimist
    edited 10 December 2013 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Plans for the week

Sun - meeting friends for coffee, haven't seen them in ages - £10. Spent £10.15 on a king prawn Thai noodle salad, bag of crisps and hot choc (that wasn't even that nice) :eek: Shocking. That'll teach me for forgetting to have lunch before we went. :(
    Mon - big blitz of housework and put Xmas tree up. And get little man weighed
    Tues - nothing planned
    Weds - baby group and end of year meeting. I've been invited even though I'm on mat leave, they're asking for donation of tins for local homeless shelter instead of cards etc - £5
    Thurs - get my nails done - £22
    Fri - drive down to hubby's work as it's his Xmas ball. Will need petrol, lunch, brekkie for the following morning - £60, £15, £10
    Sat - driving home (for Xmas )

= £30 to cover Sun, weds, and lunch on fri.
    (Nails, petrol and brekkie all covered elsewhere)

= £10:15 / £30
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Hi everyone!

Thanks ETO for starting the thread again this week. Unfortunately I've had painters at the house most of the week and all sorts of things going on so didn't have time to post at all. I'm finally managing to sit down, have a coffee and relax.

I'd like to pledge £4.00 for the coming week as that's all I have in my purse lol and I'm not taking out any more money to add the £1 extra I normally pledge because I know that I'll just end up spending money to break a tenner! :o

I finished the xmas shopping yesterday so there will be no more spends on xmas at least! All the food and alcohol bought and paid for so that's all going according to plan.

Am having a NSD today which is a good start.

Hope you're all having a great weekend. Sorry I haven't had time to read or catch up.

Cheers
    Casper
    xx
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • EverTheOptimist
    Options
    Awww nice to see you back Casper, missed you last week. Glad all's good with you, and wow to the Xmas shopping. I thought I was doing really well this year, started in oct, continued a little last month, but all of a sudden there's 2 weeks to go and I feel like I haven't achieved anything.

I find the food a nightmare as there's only so much you can get beforehand. And only have a few more pressies to get so really not too bad, but can feel a rush coming on. Have spent the last two weeks planning gifts and surprises for hubby's 40th last week. Think I need to sit and make a list, love a list,and may feel calmer.

Good luck with your £4. :D
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
  • Sedge123
    Sedge123 Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    £7.10 spent today on coffee and cake with the little one. Was a nice treat though.
    Total so far is £7.10/£25

Going to find it tough this week as the Xmas events at school are ramping up now....
    Determined to save and not squander!
    On a mission to save money whilst renovating our new forever home
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can i have a target of £25 please ETO?

This week i have to pay my car tax which is a massive..... £20!! I bought my little car in March and prior to it i paid £240 tax a year for an old uneconomical diesel. So i'm strangely happy to pay my tax now. This will leave me with £5 for misc spends :)

Sunday: NSD, although i did buy a snazzy hairclip & Christmas socks with a gift card :xmassmile
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
  • flyinggiraffe_2
    Options
    After being AWOL last week I'd like to pledge £20.00 for this week

The plan is:
    Sunday: breakfast with friends - done £7
    Monday: NSD
    Tuesday: NSD
    Wednesday: fat club so £5.00
    Thursday: NSD
    Friday: NSD
    Saturday: meeting friend for an afternoon tea, already paid as birthday treat back in November but may get a glass of champers too
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure