Excel - Peel Centre! Help please..

Hi,

I was parked in the Peel Centre last night, bought a ticket, then realised 25 minutes later when I was leaving that the final letter on my reg was incorrect on the ticket. This was over the 15 minute grace so I didn't buy another ticket as I'm guessing that would have been pointless. I tried ringing Excel (again, I expect that would have been fruitless!) but the offices were shut.

So essentially I'm pre-empting the inevitable ticket in a couple of weeks and doing my research as I don't want to be sorting this out through Christmas.

What I'm hoping you guys can confirm is, should my appeal be based on the grounds that I bought a ticket (I still have it) and therefore the fine isn't a genuine pre-estimate of loss? And do I only mention this at the POPLA stage?

Thanks all, appreciate your help.

Steve

Replies

• UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoaa. You're jumping the gun a bit here. You're lucky the Excel offices were shut - there's absolutely no purpose whatsoever in making contact with a PPC. You will not be able to pre-empt a ticket. If it happens, it happens and that's the time you need to be dealing with it.

They have 14 days to get your information from the DVLA and send you a Notice to Keeper, so wait for that.

However, you do need to be spending some useful time in preparation and getting clued up on how to deal with it, if it comes. The more you know and understand this stuff, the more likely it will be that you have a successful outcome.

This link is the very best information you will find anywhere on private parking charges. Read it and start to get to understand what you are likely to have to do.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Also there are almost (seemingly) daily new threads about the Peel Centre - so put Peel into the search engine here and read up on those too.

And remember - NO CONTACT with Excel by telephone.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • Thanks for the response. I'm not actually planning on sending them anything until I have the ticket! I just want to have my response ready for when it inevitably turns up. Glad the offices were shut though!

I've read quite a few of the threads now, the majority are either because people didn't see the signs or didn't realised the charging timings had changed, although one refers to an incorrect reg and Excel actually cancelled it, so fingers crossed it won't get to POPLA stage! He also complained to the Peel Centre so that'll be my approach if needed.

Thanks again.

Steve
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stehunt182 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. I'm not actually planning on sending them anything until I have the ticket! I just want to have my response ready for when it inevitably turns up. Glad the offices were shut though!

I've read quite a few of the threads now, the majority are either because people didn't see the signs or didn't realised the charging timings had changed, although one refers to an incorrect reg and Excel actually cancelled it, so fingers crossed it won't get to POPLA stage! He also complained to the Peel Centre so that'll be my approach if needed.

Thanks again.

Steve

Yep, complaints to the landowner/retailer are proving very productive and are the easiest of all the options available to you.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 30 November 2013 at 3:04PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2013 at 3:04PM
    Thanks for the response. I'm not actually planning on sending them anything until I have the ticket! I just want to have my response ready for when it inevitably turns up. Glad the offices were shut though!

Thanks again.

Steve

I have an example thread which went to POPLA where the OP had made a typo in the car reg v Excel:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62187053

You can ignore the Equality Act paragraph in the linked POPLA appeal but certainly the rest of the points will be relevant to you at that stage - and I particularly enjoyed linked the BBC Article and the Excel spokesman's words.

How about including those spokesman's words in your first written appeal to Excel; this will be most amusing. Make sure you show Excel exactly what the typo was so there's no wriggle room.

I also have to assume you have read the sticky threads at the top of this forum?!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

'NEWBIES, READ THIS FIRST!' answers most things and 'Successful complaints' is also relevant to you and includes the Peel Centre manager's contact details for a complaint if Excel persist.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks both, very helpful.

I will put that BBC article quote in there if it comes to it! However I'm sure if they are manually checking then they'll see this was a genuine mistake and no harm done.

Somehow I'm not convinced it will be that straightforward...

Cheers, if I get the Christmas card off them in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how I plan to deal with it.

Steve
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The point is, we think there is no manual checking... but the spokesman's quote shows you/POPLA that they say there is! Methinks Excel doth protest too much in that article.

I bet you WILL get a fake PCN!
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    36.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks both, very helpful.

I will put that BBC article quote in there if it comes to it! However I'm sure if they are manually checking then they'll see this was a genuine mistake and no harm done.

Somehow I'm not convinced it will be that straightforward...

Cheers, if I get the Christmas card off them in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how I plan to deal with it.

Steve

Excel are chancers who dont care about the what ifs and wherefores, they just want the maximum amount of money out of people parking cars , even if they have paid for that privilege

all these PPC,s have ice blocks instead of hearts and no common sense or decency , if they did they would pursue pensioners with blue badges that have fell down inside the car, they wouldnt penalise 87 year old women who take too long getting out of a car park whilst sitting in the stationary exit queue or people who have overstayed for a few minutes due to the fact they dont allow for the time to read signs, get a ticket, queue for a space etc

complain to the centre manager and get in cancelled, if it even exists, that is the best course of action, otherwise its a few months of playing them at a well known game, then winning on points of order, technicalities, or any other method of winning that costs them money, its their own fault for not playing it fairly across the board
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    100.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thread like yours where the OP realised he must have made a typo in the car reg. He has just reported that Excel cancelled it when he appealed:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4798323

I expect he appealed pretty robustly about the flaws in their NTK and the fact the charge wasn't a GPEOL as well as the typo issue and quoting the Excel spokesman!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides