stocks & shares ISAs

Options
Someone on my local website has posted that stocks and shares ISAs aren't worth investing in unless you're a higher rate tax payer - or only for capital gains reasons. As someone who has invested in them since they started I feel I don't agree but I'm not sure why. For a couple of years I was in a higher tax bracket but now I'm retired. I have about £100,000 in them so surely it wouldn't be a good idea to close them down and put them in 'ordinary' savings, would it?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ignore your local website! It's clearly true that any tax-free savings or investment arrangement will work relatively better for higher rate taxpayers than basic rate payers but that's not the same as saying you should extract your pot into taxable status if you don't pay higher rate tax!

Having said that, if you're retired then presumably at some point you'll be thinking about adjusting the balance between investment products and cash in your portfolio anyway?
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, please don't blind me with science! I leave the details to my IFA; I do remember them saying they adjusted things with cash, but can't remember the exact numbers - will ask them next time I meet them. (Just to pretend I know what I'm talking about)
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    Retired people can still make capital gains.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    I have about £100,000 in them so surely it wouldn't be a good idea to close them down and put them in 'ordinary' savings, would it?
    Apart from the CGT implications should you sell, there can be a massive record keeping issue of purchases/sales/dividends which would have to be reported to HMR&C were the investments held outside an ISA
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    opinions4u wrote: »
    Retired people can still make capital gains.

If anything they are more likely to make capital gains as the portfolio should be proportionately larger if it has been built up over a number of years than someone just starting out investing.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leave be; but remember that it's income tax and CGT that they are free from, not Inheritance Tax.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh, please don't blind me with science! I leave the details to my IFA; I do remember them saying they adjusted things with cash, but can't remember the exact numbers - will ask them next time I meet them. (Just to pretend I know what I'm talking about)

Yes, if you have an IFA that takes care of your arrangements then best to take advice from them rather than your local website or even this one - although there are many folk on here who are well-informed, your IFA will naturally have far greater visibility of your exact circumstances than can be gleaned from posting on here, and is obviously also properly qualified to give financial advice!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Someone on my local website has posted that stocks and shares ISAs aren't worth investing in unless you're a higher rate tax payer - or only for capital gains reasons. As someone who has invested in them since they started I feel I don't agree but I'm not sure why. For a couple of years I was in a higher tax bracket but now I'm retired. I have about £100,000 in them so surely it wouldn't be a good idea to close them down and put them in 'ordinary' savings, would it?

your website has a numpty or two I think.

You not only get interest tax free (on cash) you get dividends w/o HRTax, and you get capital gains tax free. Now, this is something newbies dont think about, but if you invest your full 12K or so each year for a few years and get good growth, selling could could bring you out higher than your CGT exemption. So is worth looking at. Not to mention that capital growth plus dividends can and has been higher than bank rates of interest.
  • chesky
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    Apart from the CGT implications should you sell, there can be a massive record keeping issue of purchases/sales/dividends which would have to be reported to HMR&C were the investments held outside an ISA

Yes, of course I do realise that (as I do a self assessment every year) and that was why I couldn't see why the poster was sounding so definite in her statement on my local website - thought there must be something I hadn't known.
  • chesky
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Yes, if you have an IFA that takes care of your arrangements then best to take advice from them rather than your local website or even this one - although there are many folk on here who are well-informed, your IFA will naturally have far greater visibility of your exact circumstances than can be gleaned from posting on here, and is obviously also properly qualified to give financial advice!

I have absolutely no intention of taking her advice; the correspondence was nothing to do with me - I was just an interested looker-on but was appalled that others might think she was right.

And even on this magnificent site, I take a lot of what's written with a pinch of salt.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure