Share ISA

I invested £2,500 in a shares ISA back in 2001 and it is now worth £5,277. I'm thinking perhaps to move it out of there now into a risk free normal ISA as at one point it was only worth £1,900.

I'm no expert in the stock market but I can't see the worth of it going much higher than what it is now unless there happens to be a big boom!

I don't NEED to access the money now but while its good I'd like to keep it that way especially as I'll want to use some of it in the summer towards a garage conversion.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether I should take it out of shares.

Thanks

Comments

• grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    How much are you dependant on for your garage conversion?

No one has got a crystal ball and only you can decide if you need to crystallise those gains and put them into cash. If this investment were to dip before the summer do you have other funds you could use?

You can't transfer from a s&s ISA directly into a cash ISA. You would need to sell then open a cash ISA, providing you haven't already done so, for this tax year.
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lou-28 wrote: »

I'm no expert in the stock market but I can't see the worth of it going much higher than what it is now unless there happens to be a big boom!

Yes that's right. It won't go higher unless there is a boom but no-one knows that. Or it could just go higher gradually over time. Again no-one knows. But the chances are it will go higher over time - I assume you are referring to the FTSE by "it" by the way - different markets do react differently.

An ISA isn't an investment in itself - it is a wrapper that you buy investments inside to keep them tax free. So it would help to know what investments you actually have?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Shares are the wrong way to store money for an expenditure that's only months away. As a compromise, you could sell the shares but leave the money within the S&S ISA pro tem, just in case you change your mind.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport