Best flooring for living room when two dogs live here?

Options
About to replace my living room carpet.

My old one was a nightmare to keep clean with my two dogs. I have a Vax carpet cleaner which I need to use once a month.

Anyway, I can't decide whether to go for wood flooring or a darker carpet - old one was beige.

I've heard the dogs' claws will mark wood floors and do prefer carpet, but I have to get real and accept maybe it's just not practical, especially as one of the dogs is black:)

Any advice from fellow dog mums?

Comments

• codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    We've got a dark grey carpet in the livingroom - which hides a lot of the dog hair. This is a good thing as we don't hoover every day. The only thing that shows up on it is random bits of bone as CD has decided that there's a spot in that room which is where he eats his bones and nowhere else will do.

The parents and in-laws have wooden floors and the dog slides all over the place. This is hysterically funny, but I do feel a bit sorry for him and worry that he's scratching it a bit.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    If you do have carpet, get one with a 'fleck' in it, it will hide all sorts of marks and bits of fluff/hair etc.
    If you do go for wood or laminate, just get some rugs to keep it feeling and looking warm. They don't have to be expensive and some are even flexible enough to put in the washing machine. Even if they aren't they are still easier to clean than a fitted carpet.

Olias
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have had both over the years with numerous dogs and there are pros and cons to both.

My dog doesn't moult but being long haired he brings in leaves, twigs, bits of grass etc which end up all over the carpet. Also any chews he has tend to leave marks on the carpet. I hoover every single day (sometimes 2 or 3 times).

Laminate I think looks nice and is quick and easy to sweep but most dogs slip and slide on it and it can be dangerous if the dog runs on it, slips and hurts themselves.

A real wood floor is not usually so slippery but is pretty expensive.

When I live abroad I had a tiled floor which was very practical but is not really very common in this country.

As I say, I have carpet at present and if I were to change I would probably stick with carpet but go for a darker colour with a fleck in it. My parents have a black carpet with a white (or may be light grey) fleck and that doesn't seem to show every little thing
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My black dog moults but the brown one doesn't. They do slip when we go to my son's as he has wood floors and the dogs hate it.

Much as I like the idea of a black carpet I wouldn't want it in the house. A fleck is a great idea though as won't show every mark. I did like the beige carpet but never again as it showed every single mark.

I can just imagine though what a mess claw marks will make of wood floors!
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Options
    we have wood here. Dogs or no dogs I would never go back to carpets:). Not cold at all easy to clean (steamer) and looks nice even when covered in dog related debris. not to mention muddy paw prints and the odd bit of vomit:D
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    Options
    Wood floor with a large rug in the middle, best of both worlds.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Slipping on laminate or engineered floor isn't THAT funny. It can cause injury and fear, so mats and rugs are a good way forward with that option.

My preference is real wood...planks. The kind that look better with a patina of wear and age rather than the shiny smooth sort, depending on the house, or stone, likewise.

I'd not have carpet by choice for cleanliness more than appearance.
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    Options
    So true lost, I use paw wax from Pets at Home, and we haven't ever had a slip up so to speak x
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    Definately no carpet here, with heavy shedding breeds in contrasting colours, I'd be hoovering 3 times a day and still it'd be covered in visible hair!
    Laminate flooring here with some big rugs (with a non-looped pile, so I can run a slicker brush over to de-hair!), mine don't slip on the laminate but they've been used to it most of their lives really. I don't encourage too much mad dashing in the house anyway as they're so big.

With smaller dogs that shed less and were of a similar colour (why, oh why, did I go for 1 black dog and 1 white dog?!), I'd be tempted to go for carpet. A friend recently went for a darker beige-y grey type carpet, and that seems to hold up well with her dog (despite him being a bit bigger and hairy than yours - an Akita cross!)
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. My black dog moults but the brown one doesn't. They do slip when we go to my son's as he has wood floors and the dogs hate it.

Much as I like the idea of a black carpet I wouldn't want it in the house. A fleck is a great idea though as won't show every mark. I did like the beige carpet but never again as it showed every single mark.

I can just imagine though what a mess claw marks will make of wood floors!

I have black carpet in my bedroom but must admit I would never have thought of it for a living room but my parent's carpet looks really lovely. The fleck in it breaks the black up
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure