AMAZON on BBC1 Undercover

Options

Comments

• RichardD1970
    Options
    scooby088 wrote: »
    So does the use of illegal drugs effect everyone the same? There are just as many harmful legal drugs being taken that can change the mental state of the person taking them. Just because they come with a warning sheet in the packaging doesn't mean they are any less harmful to the person using them or their co workers.

Which is why you inform your employer if you are taking them so they can asses the risks and make any necessary adjustments. :wall:

And no, illegal drugs do effect people differently, but they are illegal and the employer has the right to know if their employees are involved in illegal activities that could have an impact on their honesty and integrity. Which is also why many now require a disclosure of any convictions.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    Which is why you inform your employer if you are taking them so they can asses the risks and make any necessary adjustments. :wall:

And no, illegal drugs do effect people differently, but they are illegal and the employer has the right to know if their employees are involved in illegal activities that could have an impact on their honesty and integrity. Which is also why many now require a disclosure of any convictions.

I would disclose the use of such prescription drugs to my employer, what I object to is the testing. And if my employer introduced such a policy I would refuse to have any test taken. I know I haven't taken anything and in essense the employer doesn't trust the employees word.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    But you could be high on something legal too, as opiates are used for pain relief. What allowances are made then if you disclose you are on strong pain relief medication?
    Well if you have had a company medical you know you have to declare all medication and bring with you anything you are currently taking even if it was over the counter pain killer.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • hawk30
    hawk30 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I would disclose the use of such prescription drugs to my employer, what I object to is the testing. And if my employer introduced such a policy I would refuse to have any test taken. I know I haven't taken anything and in essense the employer doesn't trust the employees word.

That's just ridiculous. Anyone taking illegal drugs is highly unlikely to admit to it, hence the testing.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    hawk30 wrote: »
    That's just ridiculous. Anyone taking illegal drugs is highly unlikely to admit to it, hence the testing.
    The same as 'have you stolen anything'? 'Not me boss honest'
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • RichardD1970
    Options

Yes, but you are an honest and upstanding member of society, many people (especially those who take illegal drugs) aren't and are libel to lie to their employers if asked about drug taking.

How is an employer with 1000s of staff meant to know who is honest and who isn't, and would have to potentially test everyone to prevent accusations of discrimination. They can't just say, we trust Scooby so don't bother testing him.
  • makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    It can't be denied that Amazon have a tight production workflow but sadly this has a much greater cost to British society than overworked employees.

Remember that their worldwide profit affords huge bonuses for the very people that are allowed to be late without reproach, and walking into work with coffee and oodles of small talk to narrate to fellow executives.

I suppose if it pays the bills, it's easy to accept indoctrination if one doesn't take stock of their prosperity. Maybe Amazon floorstaff should search for those missing bitcoins...
  • mountainofdebt
    Options

Remember that their worldwide profit affords huge bonuses for the very people that are allowed to be late without reproach, and walking into work with coffee and oodles of small talk to narrate to fellow executives.

Oh for goodness sake - what makes you think the executives of Amazon are any different from executives from any other business?

My OH has his own business - and yes he sometimes wanders in late and leaves early

And his profits are no where near Amazon's (mores the pity)
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • makeyourdaddyproud
    Options
    Oh for goodness sake - what makes you think the executives of Amazon are any different from executives from any other business?

My OH has his own business - and yes he sometimes wanders in late and leaves early

And his profits are no where near Amazon's (mores the pity)

Thanks for reinforcing my argument.
  • tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A couple of weekends a month I go to my companies warehouse to do some overtime, and go on picking like they showed on here.

I measured how far I walked a few times and it was between 6 and 12 miles in a shift. At Amazon I would expect a lot of the picks are for small amounts, mostly for single items which speeds up the picking a lot. You might also get lots of orders for the same item, say an item came into stock which hadn't been available for ages, so you might get 50 picks for the same thing in the same location which gives you a good pick figure as you can do these very quickly.

Did the lad they showed get sacked in the end? He'd worked there for a few months but they seemed to be keeping him on. I'm sure if he didn't like walking then it could have gone onto packing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure