AMAZON on BBC1 Undercover

Options

Comments

• falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    brendon wrote: »
    Another thing I don't understand is that if people really don't like the job, why don't they simply look for another job elsewhere? It's a tough world -- you have to adapt to the job, not the job adapting to you. If a job doesn't fit with you as a person, you should pack you bags and go somewhere else to be blunt. There are plenty of unemployed people who'd be over the moon with this job.

Makes me laugh this, now why didn't them folks think of that? Perhaps they can't get another job?
  • hawk30
    hawk30 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't watch the programme so can't comment on the other points but have to agree, walking 8 miles isn't a big deal. I walk to work every day which is just over a mile and barely takes 10 minutes. I regularly walk to and from large supermarkets which are about 2-3 miles away so that's a 4-6 mile round trip and that doesn't take long at all, I'd probably spend a maximum of 2 hours doing a shopping trip like that including the actual shopping. 8 miles is not far! Maybe if you were used to driving absolutely everywhere then you might think it's a lot but it really isn't. I spend most of my working day walking and would imagine I'd easily do more than 8 miles based on how long it takes me to walk to and from work etc.

Agree (although I think 10 mins is very quick for 1 mile - you must walk very very fast). I used to walk to work and google maps says my route was just over 2 miles each way. So I really don't think that 8 miles over the course of a shift is very far.
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't watch the programme so can't comment on the other points but have to agree, walking 8 miles isn't a big deal. I walk to work every day which is just over a mile and barely takes 10 minutes. I regularly walk to and from large supermarkets which are about 2-3 miles away so that's a 4-6 mile round trip and that doesn't take long at all, I'd probably spend a maximum of 2 hours doing a shopping trip like that including the actual shopping. 8 miles is not far! Maybe if you were used to driving absolutely everywhere then you might think it's a lot but it really isn't. I spend most of my working day walking and would imagine I'd easily do more than 8 miles based on how long it takes me to walk to and from work etc.

It easy saying that but can you maintain that pace for 10 hours and carting a heavy cart around with you too. Even the reporter in last nights programme struggled and he is a runner.
  • Denning.
    Denning. Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Options
    Well they would have to dumb it a down a long way for you to get it.
    Honestly every time you say something, its a like a smack your forehead moment.
    10k is just over 6 miles,not 10 miles. Did you go to junior school? because thats what you do there, basic maths including weights and measures. Im sorry but you need to get a grip with the basics because you appear to really struggle.

No I didn't learn how many steps were in a mile. I wasn't aware steps was an accepted measure of distance.

I am struggling, my life is just woeful. How's yours?
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    vincewurt wrote: »
    If you want cheap products, slave labour is the price to be paid.
    because people can't get another job can they....

Deary me
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    scooby088 wrote: »
    What amazon also do is randomly check employees for drugs and alcohol, now that is trying to control employees away from work. And also another reason I wouldn't want to work for them.

they also do a drugs/alcohol test at the interview stage as well.

tbh I would have no issue with this but that's me.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • getzls
    getzls Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Atidi wrote: »

I have to say, they did try their best to show off the sporting prowess of this guy running across the moors at the start of the programme, but couldn't manage walking for 8 hours and and got blisters on his feet.
    As a now former athletic i never had a problem running maybe 15 miles a day, every day.

Walking was different for some reason, 15 miles walking was a killer.:(

That count down timer must be a curse after a while.
    You would start to equate it to a bomb getting ready to detonate.:eek:
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    It easy saying that but can you maintain that pace for 10 hours and carting a heavy cart around with you too. Even the reporter in last nights programme struggled and he is a runner.

But to do the 8 miles you don't do that pace.

10 mins a mile equates to 60 miles a shift :eek:

8 mile, at an average walking pace of 3mph means you are walking for about 2.6 hrs a shift.

Not a lot really is it?
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    Yes but for arguments sake, morphine is derived from a form of cocaine/ heroin or vice versa. In my experience adjustments are never made, my OH was used to operate cleaning machinery whilst on morphine patches nothing was ever said by the management.

When you have a drugs test, you are asked if you are taking any medication and that is taken into consideration.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hawk30 wrote: »
    Agree (although I think 10 mins is very quick for 1 mile - you must walk very very fast). I used to walk to work and google maps says my route was just over 2 miles each way. So I really don't think that 8 miles over the course of a shift is very far.

I also walk every day, at what I call a fast pace - between 12 and 15 minutes per mile (for between 6 and 10 miles).
    Most experts agree that a "brisk" walking pace is around 15 minutes per mile, so 10 minutes per mile (6mph) would be very fast, and not attainable for most people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure