Change paper shares to electronic shares

Options
My spouse has 500 HBOS paper shares. She has been informed that it is better to change them to Electronic ones.
How is this done? Can it be done free. What is the cheapest way to sell them once the change has been made.
Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you need to decide where you are going to hold your electronic shares then fill in the paperwork and send off with the certificates. Once shares are held electronically you are in a position to sell online.

I used x-o as a basic service and it only cost £5.95 to sell them once they had reached the price I was looking for.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    2010 Posts: 5,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    xaghra70 wrote: »
    My spouse has 500 HBOS paper shares. She has been informed that it is better to change them to Electronic ones.
    How is this done? Can it be done free. What is the cheapest way to sell them once the change has been made.

You need to register and open an account with a broker such as Halifax share dealing which is free.
    Once the account is open you`ll need a crest transfer form and a nominee account transfer form (you can print them off the Halifax site).
    Fill the forms in and send them together with the share cert to Halifax share dealing and they will put them in their electronic nominee account free.
    You can then sell them whenever you wish for £11-95.

That`s it in a nutshell, there are cheaper brokers but in the end you get what you pay for and if you are already a Halifax customer it`s easier.
  • doughnutmachine
    Options
    xaghra70 wrote: »

HBOS was taken over by Lloyds years ago. You sure it's not just an old certificate? Did your wife receive Lloyds shares?
  • grey_gym_sock
    Options
    electronic is not necessarily better.

electronic is better if you might lose the certificate, since it costs money to replace it.

with electronic, you have to pick which provider's nominee account to use. you can later transfer between different nominee accounts, or between a nominee account and a certificate, or vice versa. there is rarely any charge to transfer from certificate to nominee account. there is almost always a charge to transfer out of a nominee account (whether into a certificate or into a different nominee account).

dealing is cheaper in nominee accounts. however, you could transfer from a certificate to a nominee (for free) just before selling.

there is sometimes a charge for merely having a nominee account open, even when you aren't buying or selling. this depends on the account provider.

with a certificate, you get communications direct from the company, and can attend shareholder meetings, and there may be perks for shareholders. with a nominee account, these things may or may not be passed on, and there may be charges if you want them passed on.

with a certificate, your name and address is on the company's share register, which various ppl will access, including some scammers, who may contact you as a result.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure