Can cyclists answer me why??

Options

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    And on what basis of fact do you make that claim?

on the basis of you saying that you cycle without lights deliberately so that cars can't see you. Apologies if I misread something, as your latest posts seems to contradict that. I'm a bit confused now...you just said you wear hi vis and lights, before you said you don't
  • kwmlondon
    kwmlondon Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Options
    Well, whatever, it's a legal requirement to have lights and reflectors on a bicycle after dark. If you don't have these then you can get done by the rozzers. Bosch.
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Ok, but let's face it...... This applies to MANY drivers, I lose count in foggy or simply dark conditions of how many drive about with no lights on, or with nothing but the parking lights.

Perhaps they have given their lights to the people driving round with fog lights on in the middle of the day?
  • Marco_Panettone
    Marco_Panettone Posts: 641 Forumite
    edited 22 November 2013 at 10:24AM
    Options
    No. It's most unlikely that the vast majority of disrespectful drivers have encountered AndyBSG. Also if you believe what you've said why do some drivers have no respect for cyclists during the daytime?

The actions of ALL cyclists and ALL pedestrians and ALL drivers is ALWAYS only the action of an individual. Nobody else can be held responsible for those actions, but people can and should be held responsible for their REACTIONS.
    It's only numbers.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I've once been accused of not having lights on my bike after scraping down the side of a car.
    I did actually have lights, they were just not turned on at the time.

i was going down a road when a car came from behind, overtook me and turned left while i was still down the side of the car. causing me into avoiding action, slightly clipping the car, but managing to stay on my bike.

The driver then blamed me saying it was my fault for not having lights on, and a police officer even agreed with him.

The problem was, not only did he move out to overtake me, so he clearly must have seen me, but it was during a nice summer day, with clear blue skies, it couldn't have been more brighter.

However, i have once been caught out by dark nights, during the summer, i never needed my lights at all, so i got in the habit of not turning on my lights, then as it was getting darker, i actually had a week off work, so it started getting dark on my way home, it wasn't actually dark when i left work and the cars didn't have lights on at that point, but by the time i got home, it was pretty dark.

But then, it doesn't really matter if i was seen or not as the cars were mostly not moving at all stuck in traffic :P
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Er, thread cant be dead as I don't have lights.
    well - OK I don't have a bike either.. was that a requirement of this thread?
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mttylad wrote: »
    Er, thread cant be dead as I don't have lights.
    well - OK I don't have a bike either.. was that a requirement of this thread?

You don't need lights or a bike. Just get yourself a cycle bell and approach pedestrians from behind ringing the bell and saying "Excuse me ; coming through"

Smile as they jump aside and tell you you're a "hooligan" who "shouldn't be on the pavement"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 December 2013 at 2:20AM
    Options
    in normal street conditions we dont really need any light as we are all quite visible, only on the darkest country roads do we need some sort of artificial glow. Dont tell me that we are not seen whether we show a piddling little glow on the back or not. every one can see us anyway. its just another excuse by moaning car drivers to have a go at us
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    in normal street conditions we dont really need any light as we are all quite visible, only on the darkest country roads do we need some sort of artificial glow. Dont tell me that we are not seen whether we show a piddling little glow on the back or not. every one can see us anyway. its just another excuse by moaning car drivers to have a go at us

Demonstrating in full, the intelligence of some cyclists.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 December 2013 at 2:03PM
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Demonstrating in full, the intelligence of some cyclists.
    I have never ever failed to see a cyclist on the road at night whether hes displaying a little red glow or not, you need to get down to specsavers if you dont see the bikes or not. It seems to be commonplace now for cyclists not to bother with lights, the Police dont bother them also. Cyclists usually get killed by buses and HGVs who havent bothered spending a little bit of money for proper wing mirrors/ cameras which show whats on their inside
    If anything some are displaying far too much light, very bright and distracting front and rear lights flashing like hell , sometimes three lots all flashing away merrily alongside the bright hi vis wear of course
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure