Can cyclists answer me why??

Options

Comments

• consumers_revenge
    Options
    And so to page 4

We are all agreed all the cyclists including me have lights.…

This thread is now dead!
  • kwmlondon
    kwmlondon Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a car licence, motorbike licence, own a pushbike, have some RYA qualifications, ski, ride horses blah, blah, blah, but it's only cyclists who regularly get this question posed on such public forums. It really is most tiresome, and smacks of victim blaming.

If I'm out and about and see somebody behaving like an idiot on the roads I'll mutter under my breath, but I never start threads such as "Why do so many motorists text when driving" on the pretext I'm somehow being helpful.

I agree wholeheartedly.
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    And so to page 4

This thread is now dead!
    It is only page 2 if you view 40 posts per page. :D
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    armyknife wrote: »
    Did you have the same difficulty seeing hazards in the road, like speedhumps, potholes etc ?

Speed bumps and potholes are not in danger of being injured or killed.

Not seeing a speed bump may give you and your car a jolt.

Not seeing a cyclist may end a cyclist's life.
  • AndyBSG
    AndyBSG Posts: 986 Forumite
    Options
    I don't use lights precisely so I am harder to see.

The less vehicles that can see me then the less of them that can deliberately try to kill me as seems to be the current past time in London over the last two weeks....
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    I don't use lights precisely so I am harder to see.

The less vehicles that can see me then the less of them that can deliberately try to kill me as seems to be the current past time in London over the last two weeks....

You're either an utter moron or thats a joke in very poor taste given that cyclists do get killed regularly
  • AndyBSG
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    You're either an utter moron or thats a joke in very poor taste given that cyclists do get killed regularly

I'm not joking at all.

As someone who cycles down CS2 every day I can categorically say that being a cyclist is like painting a target on your bike because most drivers there see us an obstacle in their way and something to be removed.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Except the one I pass on the way to the station in the morning. Oh and the ones I pass on the way home. And lets not forget the ones I see when I arrive in London.

Yes, everyone has lights, except them.

But I do (and damn bright they are too).
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 November 2013 at 10:23AM
    Options
    AndyBSG wrote: »
    I'm not joking at all.

As someone who cycles down CS2 every day I can categorically say that being a cyclist is like painting a target on your bike because most drivers there see us an obstacle in their way and something to be removed.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

I came on this thread to defend cyclists against the usual (text removed by MSE Forum Team) from motorists. Can't really do that now other than to say the actions of some cyclists are only the actions of individuals and cyclists as a whole should not be held accountable for irresponsible individuals.
  • AndyBSG
    edited 22 November 2013 at 10:24AM
    Options
    And on what basis of fact do you make that claim?

I cycle safely and legally, I've got level 2 bikeability, I wear hi vis and lights, I stop at red lights and use arm signals when turning.

Despite this I have near misses every week on CS2 because of impatient, dangerous and ignorant drivers who are well aware that I'm there, and another 100 lights on my bike would make no difference at all to them, but still pull dangerous manoeuvres to get past me... Despite the fact that my average speed down CS2 is much faster than there gridlocked snail pace and any distance they gain on me is soon lost.

So, before you resort to mindless personal insults I suggest you make sure you're aware of fact and context.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure