flight delay - virgin atlantic

Options
Flight from New York to London on 30/10/13 was delayed by 11 hours due to a technical fault. Virgin are refusing compensation on grounds of extraordinary circumstances. After inspection engineers located fault with braking system and part had to be flown in. Letter from them stated "unexpected flight safety shortcoming". Is this a case I could take to CAA

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kathcc wrote: »
    Flight from New York to London on 30/10/13 was delayed by 11 hours due to a technical fault. Virgin are refusing compensation on grounds of extraordinary circumstances. After inspection engineers located fault with braking system and part had to be flown in. Letter from them stated "unexpected flight safety shortcoming". Is this a case I could take to CAA

Have you read the FAQs? You'll find the answer (I'll give you a clue: it's "no", go to court if you want to claim the compensation you are due) and lots of other useful information there and on various threads.

Also, there is a Virgin-specific thread you might want to look at.
  • Kathcc
    Options
    Have read the faqs on this site and others. This site says that if airline have refused compensation then go to CAA
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kathcc wrote: »
    Have read the faqs on this site and others. This site says that if airline have refused compensation then go to CAA

Bizarre. I would have thought any page suggesting that would long since have been removed. If you search the forums for "CAA" you will see a basically universal view being expressed that they are a complete and utter waste of time.

Anyway,

The second link on the FAQs here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4421185

is entitled "What to do next after reading the FAQ's."

which links to this page:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=59692197#post59692197

which sets out at the top (courtesy of Centipede100) your options, or maybe that should be, your options if you want to get your claim progressed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure