Real-life MMD:Slight damage, but free storage. Who pays?

Options
123457»

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    The one thought that doesn't seem to have been raised here is as to whether either of the households concerned contacted the firm that had sent this item and asked them why it was there/as in who owned it.

I don't personally think either household has much of a leg to stand on here if they didn't make contact with the firm concerned, as it does rather look like Household 1 has been after getting something for nothing from the outset and Household 2 has got in on the act a bit belatedly.

The legal position used to be/probably still is that if unwanted goods are delivered to a householder then they are supposed to contact the firm and ask them what arrangements they wish to make to get those goods back (ie pay the postage to get them back). After a certain amount of time then it is the case that (IF the firm concerned hasn't responded) then those goods become the property of the householder.

I know this because (many years ago) I got sent some books I hadn't ordered (well...they HAD been ordered but by someone else who was playing silly b*ggers with me and had hoped I would have to pay for them:mad:). So I checked out the law as to whether the firm should have established that "my" apparent order had really come from me and found that that was the position. From memory, I think?? it was 3 months available to the firm to get their goods back in. I gave them plenty of time beyond the legal deadline to see what they proposed to do to get their books back and they never did contact me about it and so I disposed of the books.

Of course, it may be 6 months that is the legal time limit and that is why Household B has got in on the act and is hoping for an illicit freebie:cool:

Sounds to me like both households are as bad as each other and leave them to it to try and thrash out just who gets those ill-gotten gains.
  • nickymundy_2
    Options
    I would just tell them to contact the supplier as the package should not have just been left for "anyone" to take it. 6 months later the supplier may just laugh at them though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure