Selling my car

Options
2»

Comments

• Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you don't routinely handle notes other than to/from shops the bank of England have a PDF guide (7.4MB) to the security features.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Documents/kyb_lo_res.pdf

Obviously I would then bank as soon as possible on Monday. Although you shouldn't need it take your copy of the receipt and V5 section to the bank in case they ask any questions about where the funds came from if it is an unusual size transaction for your account.

Also don't forget to copy your part of the V5 before sending it to the DVLA in case any parking tickets etc. are generated in the next couple of weeks.

Look out for the DVLA slip in the post confirming they have changed the registered keeper details.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Funnily enough, with time on my hands I went in to a Bank of Scotland (I have one of my accounts there) and a helpful chappie talked me into putting a £300 cash deposit into the fast pay in machine. Did it work, after four attempts, did it !!!!. Nice chappie explained it might be down to "worn currency". Cash is King, but get the moron in front of you to actually count it and give you a pay in slip.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have had issues with the machines in the branches also.

£400 in £20's and £10's. Counts it all fine do you want to deposit. yes.. then it returns the money with no reason.

I found stickin £20's and £10' in batches on their own worked.

I gave up on them now. I usually time it right so that the bank is empty. Take a bag of change with me also. So i have to use the counter service.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be sure you know the correct procedure for the V5C as some folks naively hand the new owner all of it.

The new keeper fills in their details at section 6 and section 10.

Both of you sign and date section 8 and you send that page to the DVLA.

The new keeper gets only section 10 to take away with them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The best security feature to look for on notes are the little known roller marks. All notes have them and they are not so easily faked. Unless you have the same printing machine as the Bank of England (or who ever prints them).
  • Netwizard
    Options
    Why not just get him to do a bankers draft?
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Options
    Netwizard wrote: »

Because these can be forged. Money goes in then you get a call saying it is forged and money goes out.

I would say money transfer (faster payments) is best with cash second.
    Je suis sabot...
  • kleapatra
    Options
    Well I sold my car and received 2 thirds of it in cash ( which I counted in full - took me ages as it was a mixture of 50's, 20's, 10's and even 5's!) and the rest was done in a instant bank transfer. I did 2 signed 'sold as seen' receipts of which I kept one and I gave him the little bit of the V5 to keep and got him to sign the bit I need to send off.
    Just need to find me a new car now.........
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    Netwizard wrote: »

Because it's Sunday, would be the easiest answer.
  • oldtoolie
    Options
    Bankers Drafts are a pain to get and can be forged. Last time I bought a £4000 motorcycle I did that but next time cash or bank transfer.

If you take cash you might ask for photo ID from the buyer and his photo.

Internet bank transfers are much faster now. Often only a matter of minutes. So seller can transfer the money with a phone call and the buyer can check that the money is in his account after a cup of tea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure