What's good/cheap at B&M?

Options
WantToBeSE
WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
edited 13 November 2013 at 9:00AM in Gone off!
We have just had a new B&M open up near us. I have never been to one before as they are normally all 'up country' :D

So i am wondering if you could all share your 'What's hot and What's not' suggestions for what to buy.

I presume they do food as well as household stuff, but feel free to jump in with suggestions for ANYTHING.

Comments

• K9sandFelines
    Options
    This might receive more replies in the Food and Grocery forum.

Going off the top of my head, they are good for most stuff in the food aisle. You can get big packs of meat in the fridge section, and chopped tomatoes, butter beans, chickpeas are normally cheap as are some of the baking bits. Can' t think what else off the top of my head, sorry
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    I get bisto there for 99p, Branston baked beans 3 for £1, Hellmans mayo the big jar for 99p, Princess corned beef £1.89 and garlic sausage and black pudding for around £1.20 from the fridges.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • midnightraven3
    Options
    in spite of living in a house of the fussiest eaters probably in the world, we havent had anything we didnt like, their jars of roasted red peppers are 78p, same brand same size in asda £1.39 (they were £1.78)

their food stuffs are WAY cheaper
    i assumed they had to be out of date or near
    they arent, at all

look on their facebook page for lots of whats in store ideas

golden wonder crisps are 20p for a bigger bag than in a multi pack
    not that i buy those:p:rotfl:

before you go, eat a light meal and limber up
    you will be there a while:D
  • carlamarie_2
    Options
    Do be careful of their toys though, a couple of years ago my dd was bought a peppa pig car from both my brother and my nana for her birthday. One of them had one of the family missing from the car, (George in case your wondering) the figures weren't removable though! But it sang a tune and went along fine.

The other had all characters and went along fine, however it didn't play music! Even after changing the batteries!

I've heard its bankrupt shops and excess orders from other shops that they sell, but I guess they also buy returns?!

On saying that, the homewares are good, I got all my bathroom accessories from there (holders, bin, ornaments etc) with no problem at all.
    I've also had christmas decs, cards, wrap which is good value.
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • sweaty_betty
    Options
    I second what the above posters have said about food. We pick up cleaning stuff there, toiletries/baby wipes/nappies can be cheaper, some toys (although some are a bit cheap and nasty).

enjoy!
  • maddeningly
    Options
    Our B&M is good. Years ago everything was cheap but very close to the sell by date but now its the same standards as super markets. My other half likes processed easy stuff to make at work (drives me mad) like mug shots and pasta pots. They tend to be two thirds cheaper than the supermarket as do the tins he buys. Cleaning products and things like toothpaste are prob like getting supermarket offers if they are on. I like their 6 pack of kitchen roll which is cheap but I find good quality. Toothbrushes always seem cheap but the best for me is the toys. I always do a quick amazon check but B&M often come out best. They do tonnes of Christmas decs but not really the kind of stuff i personally like. Halloween too, where I'm not so bothered about quality. We have a B&m, home bargains and pound shop next to each other so if I'm willing to give up a bit of time can save a lot
  • cornishchick
    Options
    Popped into the new store at the gate way to Cornwall... yesterday, food shelves looked like there had been looters, big gaps in stock.. so must have been some bargains, ended up going into waitrose next door.
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We don't have a local one but I did visit the nearest one to me earlier in the week (only the second time I've been in), Branston beans were £1.25 for 4 pack, cup a soups 39p a box (they're lovely, thick and creamy soups with croutons and ideal for my DD to take to collage and work). John west tuna, 4 pack was £3.50 (£4 everywhere else), John West microwave rice 39p a pack etc. I also got a huge box of twinings tea bags for £3.50.

Lots of Christmassy gift sets that are much cheaper than anywhere else, some good priced novelty bits too. Some nice perfumes for £3 a bottle, ideal for teens, aftershaves too - DH found one he liked for £1 :)

I wish they'd been around when my DDs were little, their toys seem a good price.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Popped into the new store at the gate way to Cornwall... yesterday, food shelves looked like there had been looters, big gaps in stock.. so must have been some bargains, ended up going into waitrose next door.

That's the one i am on about, where the focus used to be :)

I might leave it a few weeks before going then if the shelves are empty. Quite a few people i know have been raving about it so i imagine it's a bit manic.
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    I have a B&M and a Family Bargains store on the same retail park. So every six weeks or so, I plan a trip down there. I would say it's hit and miss in terms of stock. If you find a great deal, stock up there and then, because chances are it won't be there for long.
    Two of my favourite ever deals there were 24-packs of Quavers for £1 each (closer to £4-£5 in Tescos) and 10-pack Uncle Bens boil in the bag rice which were 99p.
    Sometimes I'll go in and find loads, other times I'll only leave with one or two things.

It's absolutely worth a visit though!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts