Cancelled flights whilst we were in the USA

I was wondering if anyone could advice me please.
Ten of us booked flights with Virgin through Hayes Travel.
We paid well in advance and had a flight confirmation through the post.
We travelled out to Orlando with no problems. On returning to the airport two weeks later we were told that only two of us had seats on the plane. Apparently someone had cancelled our seats in Munich !!!!!
Even though we had all the paperwork, this did not seem to matter.
We were told to wait to see if there were any spare seats.
After waiting we were then told that my mother and father could travel back to Manchester with two others !!!!! This was a difficult decision but my brother in law and his eldest son went with them.
That left myself my husband and two boys and my sister and her youngest.
After another hour we were told that two of us HAD to fly to Gatwick !!!! Otherwise we were on our own !!!!!! My sister and her son had to take this flight !!!!!
My family had to stay in Orlando overnight and were told to be back at the airport at 11 am the next day. On arrival there we were told to wait until 7.30pm to see if there were any seats !,,
Myself and my 7 year old flew back to Manchester on one plane not knowing whether my husband and my other son would fly home that day. They did however manage to get on the next flight to Manchester.
So all in all ten of us flew home on four different flights.
We have been offered £50.00 each for my family of four and nothing to the others !!!!!!!!! Any advice welcome.
Sorry for such a long Forum.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Who was the "someone" in Munich?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    There is a huge difference between cancelled flights and cancelled tickets, who cancelled your tickets ??
  • We don't know who the 'someone' in Munich is. That is all that Virgin staff would tell us. We were on the system but our seats had been cancelled by them.
    Hayes travel have offered us the £50 Virgin have not offered anything.
    Do you think we should take it up directly with Virgin themselves?
    Thank you for the advice we were told that we were not entitled to compensation. But if that is the case we will not accept the offer they have given to us and will take matters further.
  • DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between cancelled flights and cancelled tickets, who cancelled your tickets ??

Nobody will tell us this !
    We booked through Hayes travel who are Apparently taking it up with Virgin. But have said that it is proving difficult so Hayes have offered the £50 plus expenses
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Boxo100 wrote: »

Yes tackle on both fronts but your post should be on the Virgin thread.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Boxo100 we had a similar thing happen in Florida this summer we flew United and got bumped of the flight home from Tampa due to over booking and as it was just hubbie and me we weren't to bothered. Rebooked for next day via Washington, put up at hotel and given more than enough food vouchers. Next day as we already had boarding cards went straight to gate, when called to board they scanned my boarding pass and it came up passenger unknown, DH the same, we missed that flight and it turned out that some one! No one knew who or would not admit who In Houston, where we had not even been cancelled both legs of our flight,we eventually got to Washington but had no connection so had to be put up there more hotel and food vouchers and eventually got home 48hours later with no upgrade which we had originally paid for! Been fighting ever since and all I have been offered is $150 each against our next flights!!!!!

Good luck with getting somewhere keep us up to date with how you progress
    Fibro-Warrior
  • I will definitely let you know how we go on
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Boxo100 wrote: »
    We don't know who the 'someone' in Munich is. That is all that Virgin staff would tell us. We were on the system but our seats had been cancelled by them.
    Hayes travel have offered us the £50 Virgin have not offered anything.
    Thank you for the advice we were told that we were not entitled to compensation. But if that is the case we will not accept the offer they have given to us and will take matters further.

I see no reason why you should not accept the £50 as a gesture of goodwill. Accepting it is not in full and final settlement of your rightful claim under denied boarding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure