New Post Advanced Search

Has anyone used www.theselect.co.uk?

16 replies 5.1K views
n57602000n57602000 Forumite
534 posts
Saw this advertised in a money magazine today and heard about it before has anyone used this company in the past? https://www.theselect.co.uk or is it the usual kind that just take your money and dont really have that many great offers
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Replies

• CHR15CHR15 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely any company asking YOU for money has got to be a con??

Google brings up lots of results, most saying they are too expensive to make any kind of return.
  • M3_SussexM3_Sussex Forumite
    351 posts
    This is just another 'drop shipping' site. Do a search for drop shipping and I doubt you will find anyone who's ever made money from it.
  • frivolous_fayfrivolous_fay Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hm, if dropshipping is so unprofitable why are so many people doing it?
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • CHR15CHR15 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose the same thing could be asked from the other perspective.

If it is so profitable, why isn't everyone doing it?

When I looked around for them I found loads of opinions. The concensus was that they charge too much to make any kind of worthwhile profit.

There was lots of advice posting link to various other dropshippers.

From what I can see, if a dropshipper supplies iPods among their goods, you will not make much profit. Assume because that is the largest market so most competition.
    13.3K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I don't do it because I don't need the hassle of failed deliveries ;)

But often when I've bought CDs, books, DVDs on ebay they've been dropshipped.

You wouldn't do something that was losing you money. But I'm sure there are wrong and right ways of going about it.
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • dollydoodahdollydoodah Forumite
    721 posts
    ✭✭
    CHR15 wrote: »

When I looked around for them I found loads of opinions. The concensus was that they charge too much to make any kind of worthwhile profit.

This actually sums up theselect very well. The tiniest of tiny profit margins. Not worth the effort IMHO, having seen what they offer.

• M3_SussexM3_Sussex Forumite
    351 posts
    I spent an hour or so looking into a two of these companies a couple of weeks ago. When you compare prices of items they have for sale, the same items are already selling in 'By Now' auctions for less!! I obviously didn't check every price/item but focused on popular items. Maybe the two sites I looked at were not representative but I was put off by what I found, hence my negative comments.
  • AndypezAndypez Forumite
    29 posts
    I, like some people, was sucked into the unrealistic claims made by Theselect.co.uk. on their website and signed up to their 'remarkable' service, as it would appear prima facie to be a potential money making scheme for someone in my position (a full time student).

So excited was i that after doing my calculations and working out the 40-50% discount i could potentially receive, i scoured the selling markets on the net, froogle, ebuyer, ebay, amazon etc etc and thought to myself, yes, with the claims made by 'Theselect' i could be onto a winner.
    not to lose out on such a promising business venture, i borrowed the £49.99 subscription fee(i know it sounds silly, but bear in mind i am a student) and took out their bronze package and could not wait to get onto their website to see their prices and get selling and making lots of money,or even some money.

I received my login details and frantically typed them into the 'Agents' login area, my palms were sweaty with anticipation and i was really excited!

Once i had typed in my details i went straight to the area where i could view the prices that i could buy these items for as i clicked, i thought of the potential profits and thought of a nice holiday somewhere (cheap of course, i have a student loan to repay ;))

I opened one item that i was particularly keen on selling the APPLE IPOD 4GB brilliant i thought everyone wants one of those........oh my life..... my thoughts turned sour and my heart sank....

They were offering the product to me at a price way in excess of what i would pay if i was to buy them directly off the above auction sites!!!:eek:

They state that the RRP is £129.99, i do not doubt that at all, if buying from Argos, or any other large retailer. The cost to me would have been an amazing, jawdropping, huge profit making...(not) price of approximately £114 plus carriage on top of that.

I was gobsmacked, i was in shock, i nearly burst into tears. My research on all the other auction sites, show that these items sell, brand new from between £75-110(max)(estimates),(look for yourself).

When i worked out costings and someone paying by paypal, it would have cost me money to order and sell these items!!

Oh well, never fear, I'll just have to look at other products on their site a total of approx 397 products, (so i remained optimistic!) i went through approx 40 other items they list, cross referenced it with the auction sites and no profit could be made, and the claims of 40-50% could not be wholly justified by this company, they may have one or two items that have this profit margin, however, the item would be a novelty gift, or cr*p as it is technically known, and probably others views too, and there would be very little profit on these items overall once fees etc had been paid(auction site fees) and you would potentially need to sell thousands of them the achieve the earning figures they claim because they were low priced novelty goods.

I felt so embarrassed that i had been taken in by this!

Needless to say, i wanted my money back! so i emailed them through their site(restricted to 300 words).

The next morning i received an email saying basically no refund, in accordance with their terms and conditions.....What!!!

So i found their number(01908 821271) and called them.

I was given the usual flannel in relation to the terms and conditions and also told that they could help me in any way whatsoever to assist me in selling( a plus point for them is that they have won an e-commerce award for customer service!!!). I informed them that there is no way i wanted to continue to use them as it was not what i thought it was and could never profit from it in any way etc( a lengthy conversation ensued). I just wanted my money back as their was no potential for me to make money. they claimed that they have thousands of agents across the world, who make good money etc, but i wasn't interested, i wanted my money back. i was told that a manager would phone me back within a few hours.

Later that day i was called back by the same person (Darren) who informed me that they were willing to offer me a free upgrade to the 'Gold' account which in essence would give me an extra couple of pounds off each item(and it was literally an extra couple of pounds). i could not understand what they didn't understand what a full refund meant, i did not want to use their service now, in the future or ever, and i wanted a full refund, What is not clear about that!

eventually i was put through to the MD, Ben Fountain, who i found to be an obnoxious man with no concept of listening to what i was saying to him, i wanted a refund. The conversation lasted well over half an hour, and after going round in circles for so long, i informed him that i would email him, which he agreed to and said he would look at the email, i asked for him to respond to the email within 24hrs.

I then constructed an email to him. It is worthy of note at this point that i am a law student, and at the age of 35 would like to think that i am quite streetwise.
    The email consisted of the legalities of him giving the refund to me, common law, statute law and EU law and should this not be forthcoming then i would seek recourse through the courts.

Within an hour of sending the email i received a full refund!:T

the full process of me signing up to the service, to receiving the refund was less than 24hrs, well done me!(well i think so anyway)

I have read a number of forums in relation to this company(i know, i should have researched it before i took it up) and lots of people appear disgruntled by this company, many share the same view as me and many have not got their money back.

My recommendation and advice:
    steer well clear..... i cannot put it clearer than that

I hope this experience helps you to come to a decision as to whether to use this company or not, and bear in mind, i was lucky to get my money back because i like to think i know the law in some respects, but believe me when i say, i would have taken them to court and reported then to the OFT in relation to their terms and conditions.
  • ajaxgeezerajaxgeezer Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Andypez, thanks for sharing that. Often people are very quick to show how clever and wise they are, and it's refreshing to see someone stand up and say "Yes, I was duped, here are my experiences".
    13.3K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Andypez wrote: »
    I then constructed an email to him. It is worthy of note at this point that i am a law student, and at the age of 35 would like to think that i am quite streetwise.
    The email consisted of the legalities of him giving the refund to me, common law, statute law and EU law and should this not be forthcoming then i would seek recourse through the courts.

Within an hour of sending the email i received a full refund!:T

Excellent work, that must have been some email :) I'm a great believer in the power of the written word.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support