Exit BT contract

Please don't scoff -
because of re-negotiating on the hoof/over phone - I have no idea when my current BT phone/broadband contract ends - I've scoured my online account - it's not apparent .....have I missed it ? Do BT record start/end of contract in my online account somewhere ?
Tried ringing BT - hours days now ......no chance.

Comments

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My long term girlfriend recently sold up and moved in with me so had to cancel her BT contract.

I don't know what the number is for terminating your agreement with them (I don't use them) but she got through without a problem.

Keeping your business is more important to them than general enquiries so they tend to answer those calls quicker. I suggest you try calling that number
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    Thanks - got through eventually on the get-a MAC option on the helpline - - legging it to plusnet [good old Sheffield] have to pay BT for a month still but used Quidco - first time ever - to swap - cashback should more than cover payments to BT to escape.....if Quidco's for real..............
  • Good luck... BT are very nasty when it comes to screwing their customers out of as much money as possible.

I bought a telephone with my package - I mean i actually paid for the phone upfront. When I asked to break the contract, I had to pay the remaining 4 months of the contract and a few months later i had a debt collector contact me for the money for un-returned equipment INCLUDING the phone...

Utterly disgraceful
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck... BT are very nasty when it comes to screwing their customers out of as much money as possible.

I bought a telephone with my package - I mean i actually paid for the phone upfront. When I asked to break the contract, I had to pay the remaining 4 months of the contract and a few months later i had a debt collector contact me for the money for un-returned equipment INCLUDING the phone...

Utterly disgraceful

Had a similar problem last week when switching from BT to Sky for landline and broadband. BT were charging me £49 for the home hub because it was still under the 12 month contract even though my infinity 1 contract had already finished. When I pointed out that I would have been unable to use Fibre without the fibre home hub they agreed to credit the £49 charge. When I initially spoke to an advisor in retentions all he wanted to do was to slag Sky off and didn't want to know about the unwarranted charge, spoke to a different customer services advisor a couple of days later and She couldn't have been more helpful.
  • SallyG
    SallyG Posts: 850 Forumite
    Annoyed to hear BT owns Plusnet .......makes all the getting a MAC and paying twice at handover galling - but the deal's too good to pass on - means BT do know what good service looks like and choose not to?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    SallyG wrote: »
    Annoyed to hear BT owns Plusnet .......makes all the getting a MAC and paying twice at handover galling - but the deal's too good to pass on - means BT do know what good service looks like and choose not to?
    No.

Means BT have a bite at both cherries (full price market and cut price market), so get a slice of both.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SallyG wrote: »

Plusnet is owned by the BT Group, not by BT Retail. They're entirely separate companies. Plusnet is run and managed independently.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've never been able to find a place on the BT website that tells me when my contract is due for renewal(or not). Happy to be proved wrong.

I keep a note in my calendar but they really should provide the information online and the only reason they don't, I suspect, is to try to keep customers and this is not the way to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure