Virgin media contract issues

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
1 reply 650 views
dstafforddstafford Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hello everyone, new here so sorry if im posting in the wrong section.

My problem spans across a number of years and also relates to my times as a student.

While in my last year on university i took out the 9 month student deal with virgin media for there internet package. I was only at the property 10 months and before i left the property the phoned to make sure that the contract had ended. I believed it had ended, and seeing as it was only a 9 month contract i believed that it would end after that amount of time regardless.

That was around 3 years ago, iv recently bought a house with my girlfriend and while sorting our finances out i discovered that they had been taking out £20 a month for the past 3 years!

I quickly got on the phone to them to resolve this issue and explained my situation, they said they had no record of me cancelling the contract and that if i didnt phone to cancel it they it would carry on, hence the 3 years of £20 payments. They had trouble finding my details on there system as i didnt have any account numbers or letters off them but eventually found it. They cancelled the contract and told me that no more payments would come out. So far they haven't.

Now my girlfriend works for a bank and told me about a direct debit indemnity, i am yet to speak to my own bank about this but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or has been in a similar situation and what was the outcome?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Daniel.

Replies

• kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You really should have posted this on one of the consumer rights boards rather than here which is more of a technical board.

That said I reckon you don't have much hope of a refund as you can't prove it was ever cancelled and didn't query the debits right back when. The direct debit indemnity is only for erroneous/fraudulent debits and it looks to me like you probably didn't go through the cancellation properly or query the problem soon enough. For all anybody can tell the service VM were providing was still being used.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals