Astonishing phone offer! (Or is it?)

Options
FJSRiDER
FJSRiDER Posts: 155 Forumite
I've just been in my local Carphone Warehouse and they can offer me an NEC e616 phone on the 3 network for £4.99 a month with 500 cross network minuets and 100 texts a month!

Seems a reasonable deal. So what is the catch?

I currently have a Nokia 3310 on Virgin PAYG that I don't over use and only really want to make and receive phone calls.

Comments

• durain
    durain Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    18 months minimum contract?
  • FJSRiDER
    Options
    durain wrote:
    18 months minimum contract?
    No, I understand it is 12 months.
  • sabelu
    sabelu Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It pays to challenge
  • FJSRiDER
    Options
    sabelu wrote:
    Thanks but having looked at the website I feel I'm being bamboozled - which the lad in CW today didn't make me feel.

I know very little about phones - which one do you think is a 'better' offer? I know £4.99 for 500 cross network minuets is what interests me. (Along with a bluetooth headset for driving....!)
  • italiastar
    italiastar Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds incredible! is the phone free? From what I've heard 3 have pretty poor customer services, but their deals are usually very good.
  • FJSRiDER
    Options
    italiastar wrote:
    Sounds incredible! is the phone free? From what I've heard 3 have pretty poor customer services, but their deals are usually very good.
    I believe the phone is free - all there is to pay is £4.99 a month - apparently.

I'm not at all bothered about the 'services' (all of which cost!) other than making phone calls and sending and receiving the odd text - so I don't think I would be dealing with customer services much.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Presumably it is a 'cashback' offer so you have to remember to claim your cashback (probably twice within the contract period).

And for how many months do you pay £4.99p? I guess remainder of contract period will be full price?!
  • FJSRiDER
    Options
    Presumably it is a 'cashback' offer so you have to remember to claim your cashback (probably twice within the contract period).
    That is correct, I think the 6th and 12th month. I think it is normally £25/month. Do you think they expect people to forget?
    And for how many months do you pay £4.99p? I guess remainder of contract period will be full price?!
    It is £4.99/month for the whole 12 months.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    it'll be one of the many offers like on the grabbit boards. The £4.99 is an 'average' cost over the contract. Moszt of the deals are something like 1/2 price rental for first 3 months or so then you pay the full monthly tarrif i.e. £25/£30 for remaining months, at month 6 and 6 though you'll be able to claim cashback thereby making it £4.99 per month relative cost for the year. So bear in mind that you'll be paying the rental up front, i.e. £30 a month from month 6 through 12 until you get your money back, also the e616 is a fairly old model now so they are probably just shipping stock out as part of the deal. CPW's website doesn't even offer it, like another poster said e2save you can probably get a similar deal with a slightly newer phone. And e2save is CPW at the end o fthe day anyway
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    FJSRiDER wrote:
    That is correct, I think the 6th and 12th month. I think it is normally £25/month. Do you think they expect people to forget?

Thats what they hope, or that you lose the claim documentation you need or that you miss the 'windows' for claiming the cashback, it's the sad downside of what are technically very good deals. OneStopPhoneShop were notorious for using every tactic possible to avoid paying a cashback by punishing people who failed to follow their terms exactly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure