Fixed term ISA's; Why can't they pay the same rat as fixed rate bonds

Options
Mikes_The_Name
Mikes_The_Name Posts: 36 Forumite
edited 28 October 2013 at 6:48PM in ISAs & tax-free savings
Fixed/Term Rate ISA's are a con. We think all financial institutions pay a lower rate for fixed rate ISA's than on fixed term bonds. As it is the governnment who give the tax incentive should not financial organisations be forced to offer and pay the same rate for a fixed rate bond and fixed rate ISA if they are for exactly the same term.

Comments

• rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    Options
    We think all financial institutions pay a lower rate for fixed rate ISA's than on fixed term bonds.

You are wrong to think this:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/savings/savingspromises/default.htm
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    should not financial organisations be forced to offer

Absolutely not. This is a free market economy and the government should keep their meddling fingers out other than ensuring honesty, clarity, and unfettered competition.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 28 October 2013 at 8:23PM
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

This is a free market economy and the government should keep their meddling
    fingers out other than ensuring honesty, clarity, and unfettered
    competition.

I don't disagree but they already do with the HTB mortgage schemes.....Its a one way street at the moment, subsidising the "I want" and the f eckless and penalising the thrifty.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Absolutely not. This is a free market economy and the government should keep their meddling fingers out other than ensuring honesty, clarity, and unfettered competition.
    Yes, we are a bit short of unfettered capitalism in this country, particularly in the banking sector!
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fixed/Term Rate ISA's are a con. We think all financial institutions pay a lower rate for fixed rate ISA's than on fixed term bonds.

Have you got examples?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Surely that's what one would expect in a capitalist system. The banks only need offer interest rates just sufficient to attract standard rate tax payers - ie 19% below the equivalent non-ISA account. Why would they offer anything else other than as a loss leader to gather more customers.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    Options
    Fixed/Term Rate ISA's are a con. We think all financial institutions pay a lower rate for fixed rate ISA's than on fixed term bonds.

No they don't. In my experience, the rates are usually the same.

Here's one I've just transferred to: http://www.newcastle.co.uk/savings/member-exclusives.aspx
    Both are 5 year accounts and both pay 3.00% AER.

Which institutions do you think offer different rates?

A non-ISA fixed rate account usually prevents any access to your cash at all. However, with a fixed-rate ISA you can ALWAYS access your cash (although there is often a penalty of up to 6 months interest), so an ISA is a better features than the non-ISA equivalent, so you could justify a lower rate.
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    For every example the OP can give of FRISA rates being lower than a term deposit with the same provider I can probably give two where the FRISA rate is the same or higher.

FRISAs attracts lower average balances than term deposits and an element of HMRC red tape to comply with. So should, logically, pay a little less than a term deposit. But the differential shouldn't be more than 0.05% to cover this.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    Yes, we are a bit short of unfettered capitalism in this country, particularly in the banking sector!

Agreed. The government are distorting savings rates via QE, and some more direct lending schemes, so capitalism is wearing a low-interest muzzle.

You may like this, others don't ,but I don't care as I'm prepared to asset and globe trot to find returns.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure