Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 1:37PM
    Options
    2) What a Stream box?

1). Pass
    2). Yes
    3)
    a) No, plug in a suitable box.
    b) Yes from around £10 well worth it or if you want access to other services some free some subscription consider a Roku box, Roku make the NOWTV boxes.
    c). YouView compatible with Sky Cinema Pass only subject to subscription.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/NOW-TV-shows-that-aren-t-available-on-YouView
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    2) What a Stream box?
    [/URL]

Steam is a PC Gaming box (http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/)
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    2)
    Roku make the NOWTV boxes.
    [/URL]

Q1) Are there any benefits of owning a Roku box as an alternative to upgrading the TV? i.e. are there features available with Roku that are not available with a TV?

Q2) Is this the box you are referring to: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4536886 ?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With a Roku box you can you can access sites which pirate films and tv services (don't know how as it's not something I would want to do),but the powers that be are cracking down on piracy and have reported closing down a large number of the offending sites , with plans to close many more.
  • Inner_Zone
    edited 6 September 2017 at 3:54PM
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    With a Roku box you can you can access sites which pirate films and tv services (don't know how as it's not something I would want to do),but the powers that be are cracking down on piracy and have reported closing down a large number of the offending sites , with plans to close many more.

You are confusing Kodi with Roku. Kodi is a software which can loaded on to many different devices, Roku is a tightly controlled steaming box, no Kodi. Do you think Sky would buy and resell boxes which allow what you describe, it would be damaging their own service!
  • Inner_Zone
    edited 6 September 2017 at 3:51PM
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    Steam is a PC Gaming box (http://store.steampowered.com/hardware/)

Q1) Are there any benefits of owning a Roku box as an alternative to upgrading the TV? i.e. are there features available with Roku that are not available with a TV?

NOWTV boxes are cripped Roku boxes specially for the services Sky provide via NOWTV, hence their low price.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/index
    w00519772 wrote: »
    Q2) Is this the box you are referring to: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4536886 ?

That is just one option of many. They are available from £10 upwards depending on seller and passes enclosed.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4146678
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 September 2017 at 4:05PM
    Options
    Netflix vs. Now TV...?

Depends on what you'll subscribe to and what kind of content you're looking for. Both services are fairly dominated by US TV, although of the two, it is Netflix that gets the best/the most classic UK TV, because of the limited amount of GOLD content that makes it onto catch-up. Netflix UK content seems to be mostly from the BBC & C4.

For Entertainment (TV only), the £7.99 Now TV pass is okay VFM. If you never want to watch films, and you want a UK channel line up (both catch-up and live) then this could be a good starting point, given the cheap Now TV boxes that are available.

Once you add films, it becomes more complicated. Now TV films+entertainment is £18pm, which gets you a lot of content, but Netflix is half that price. Also Netflix at that sub level gets you HD, but Now TV is only 720P. Not a huge difference, but paying more and getting less seems like a poor deal.

Now TV films are newer and there are a lot of them. Netflix is a more ecclectic selection, but there are some excellent older titles in there. I find the Netflix browsing engine tricky to use, and it possibly makes it seem like there is more stuff there than there really is. The categories on both Now TV and Netflix need to be smaller and more granular. Now TV's 500+ entries under Documentaries was ridiculous.

The one big diffference I have noticed is that there seem to be major releases (both TV & Film) on Netflix every few days. With Now TV, this was much, much slower, and after 6 months I kind of knew what was on there (and not in a good way). Some of Sky's own productions looked like they had been there for years.
  • devizes18193
    Options
    1;Depends on what you like watching . If you like star trek for example netflix is the way to do , The latest blacklist then now tv.
    2: yes but with no contract and in places free passes

3: see point 1
    4 buy yjt box it will use an hdmi slot but that way you can get a pass with it and the other apps like i player will still work
    should work just fine with the tv
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, I have Netflix and Now TV at the moment. I was going to cancel Now TV but they offered me entertainment and movies for £8 a month for 4 months, so I kept it. The film range on Sky is better for me, but the TV side is a bit limited, and I have just about ran out of things to watch. I was only keeping it until game of thrones finished. Netflix does have a better mix IMO, but the movies tend to be on the older side but with the odd new gem thrown in. I prefer the variety of tv programmes on Netflix, and we have more on our Netflix watch list than Now TV. The best bit about them both is that you can switch if you need to, so may be worth having a device that has both on - a couple of month son one, then the other.
    I can virtually guarantee that you will be offered a special deal if you go to cancel Now TV before the expiry of the free trial. If you do buy a Now box with free passes, it's worth keeping them until you've been offered a stay with us deal, rather than using them first. The deals tend to be months of entertainment or movies, or day passes for sport. Depends what you want to watch. To be fair to Sky, and Netflix, the cancelling and re-subscribing system on their websites is easy to follow, and you can always tell when your pass will expire. Most will continue unless cancelled once you have subscribed.
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    If it's a consideration for you, Netflix has subtitles Nowtv does not.
  • Now TV doesn't offer any offline viewing on say a tablet. Netflix does, but note not on all its programmes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure