bt infinity- installation date slower if buying online?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
10 replies 1.2K views
eskimo26eskimo26 Forumite
897 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Just spoke to BT online and I was told they can't match the web exclusive £50 sainsbury's voucher but they can guarantee a much quicker installation date because he can ring up the engineers and book it sooner but the online system is automated and can put you in a queue that could be months long.

Is he just trying to sign me up?

I asked if he could wave the activation fee and he said not on bt unlimited infinity 1 but he can if we upgraded to 2.

I did the math and it would be an extra £36 for that package, so if they wave the £30 activation fee it is only £6 to upgrade to bt infinity 2.

Is it a good deal or is he upselling me? :)

Difference in speed is 38mb compared to 47.8 between bt infinity 1 and 2 and he upgraded the hub from a 4 to a home hub 5. ???

~Thanks.

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try signing up online and see what it says.

I contacted PlusNet last week (16th) and got a date for this week coming.

Sooner than i thought it would be. I did expect about a month.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JakgJakg Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how it works for Infinity, but for ADSL it certainly doesn't work out any quicker (I was told the same, went through the whole order process and they quoted me the same day I'd been told online, couldn't speed it up even though they'd promised a much earlier date originally!)
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • lee111slee111s Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're talking turd. They order it using a system which in turn requests a list of available appointments from Openreach's book for your area. Sounds as though they just want you to order over the phone to boost the advisors number of sales. Even if it's a few days extra surely it's worth waiting for the £50 voucher!

I'd go for Infinity 1 with unlimited usage. You're not going to see any diffrence really between 38 and 47meg.
  • eskimo26eskimo26 Forumite
    897 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    lee111s wrote: »
    They're talking turd. They order it using a system which in turn requests a list of available appointments from Openreach's book for your area. Sounds as though they just want you to order over the phone to boost the advisors number of sales. Even if it's a few days extra surely it's worth waiting for the £50 voucher!

I'd go for Infinity 1 with unlimited usage. You're not going to see any diffrence really between 38 and 47meg.

The voucher is a £100 now but we don't get it because we are 'existing customers' because we have a phone line with them, despite the fact we would have been using them for internet for the 1st time.

So they bombarded us with their junk mail but didn't give us any incentive whatsoever to pick them over virgin.

Speed is the same, price is the same and virgin said they can connect us tomorrow while bt fed me a pack of lies and can't do better then a week.

Also you don't need a pac code for virgin so that would have taken another 5-8 to come through from sky.

It's obvious companies don't care about competing if your an existing customer but why would you go with them when they are not better in anyway? Just so you can one neat tidy bill. No thanks! :rotfl:
  • jrawlejrawle Forumite
    243 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    eskimo26 wrote: »
    The voucher is a £100 now but we don't get it because we are 'existing customers' because we have a phone line with them, despite the fact we would have been using them for internet for the 1st time.
    Are you sure? As a long-standing BT line rental customer, I signed up for Infinity earlier in the year and received the £50 voucher that was on offer at the time.
    lee111s wrote: »
    But what about upload speed? You may get double the upload speed on Infinity 2, which will make a big difference if you upload a lot of photos, video or you use cloud storage.
  • Lavender13Lavender13 Forumite
    171 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    eskimo26, are you sure? We signed up on line a few months ago, already BT phone user, but new broadband customer and still received the voucher, had to claim voucher on line once Broadband installed.
    Also, ordered on line, installation date given was approx 10 days later. However after going ahead and ordering, we had a call following day asking if they could install earlier, and it was all installed and running 3 days after ordering on line :)
  • lee111slee111s Forumite
    3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    jrawle wrote: »
    Are you sure? As a long-standing BT line rental customer, I signed up for Infinity earlier in the year and received the £50 voucher that was on offer at the time.

But what about upload speed? You may get double the upload speed on Infinity 2, which will make a big difference if you upload a lot of photos, video or you use cloud storage.

Up to 9.5meg upload is more than enough.
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well openreach arrived on time, I was not expecting them to after reading some reviews.

All went well except no router from Plusnet... Had to borrow a BT one and tweak it.

Wonder if this will work....

138335663958544248761.png

A file that was just over 1GB in size took under 3 minutes including a CRC check.

• kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is an advantage with buying just about any broadband deal online - you can then do so through a cashback site eg topcashback or quidc. Not doing that is akin to taking notes from your wallet and setting fire to them imo. Same for many other things such as insurances, mobiles, insurances, etc. etc.
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except the cashback site may not be the best price if you phone and haggle with them. It deprives you of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals