We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Newnet want £40 to leave them !

Options
I'm gonna be cancelling my ADSL contract soon and have been looking into what I have to do to cancel it.

Newnet want a £40 cancellation fee :eek: I had no idea about this :confused:

"Please note that a Cessation Charge (£33.75 + VAT = £39.66 inc VAT) will be applied to all orders for termination on or after 1st May 2007. This charge will not apply to Migration requests. "

Do most of the other ISP's charge when you leave them ?
Rob
If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''

Comments

• dieselglider
    Options
    This is actually a BT levied charged which was introduced a few months ago, Newnet are just passing it on. I'm not sure how many other isps' are charging it, or not as the case may be.

Not being funny, but you do know this charge is for having Broadband dis-abled from your BT line? Are you changing to cable supplier, or moving house? If the latter, some isps' have a moving house process.
  • mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    Also, if you are changing broadband supplier you should ask for a MAC instead - they are free (unless you are getting cable of course - then a MAC would be useless)
  • JayTee99_2
    JayTee99_2 Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    This is a recently introduced BT charge which is being passed on and only applies if you are completely ceasing ADSL on your phone line.
    As said, If you are migrating, there is no charge.
    BT can't seem to make up their minds on this one.

I think the Entanet resellers are the only ISP to absorb this charge and not pass it on.

See this earlier thread
  • Wayne3765
    Wayne3765 Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If that's true then it might be cheaper to migrate to an Entanet supplier then cancel.
  • robowen
    robowen Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm off to Australia in Aug, so its a cancellation of service I nee.

..unless I can get the new owners to continue with the ADSL.
    No doubt there will be some stupid rule somewhere saying its not transferable...this is newnet were talking about.
    If only everything in life was as reliable...AS ME !!
    robowen 5/6/2005©

''Never take an idiot anywhere with you. You'll always find one when you get there.''
  • dieselglider
    dieselglider Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    robowen wrote: »

No doubt there will be some stupid rule somewhere saying its not transferable...this is newnet were talking about.

Strange you say that, Newnet would generally be seen as one of the better internet providers... Mind you, I should say that they're my provider too.

Just as an example, see here.
  • opportunity_cost
    Options
    robowen wrote: »

(Oops, I just clicked on the 'Thanks' button my mistake :o) robowen, I'm sure you'll also want to cancel your BT line to stop paying the BT line rental, so the new owners won't be able to take over your ISP contract, as the ADSL on that line will be disabled by BT as soon as you cancel your BT line.

Technically, you could leave things as they are and get the new owners to forward you the BT line rental and ISP fees, but you'd probably be wrapped in a straight jacket as soon as you went through customs and end up in the nearest mental hospital instead of in Australia. :rotfl:
    The true cost of something is what you give up to get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport