Upgrading BT Infinity

Options
I have Infinity 1 and need to change to an unlimited package. I have 8 or 9 months left on my contract so think that I need to stick with BT and get Unlimited Infinity 1.
  1. Do I have any other sensible options i.e. am I likely to lose too much money in fees if I try to swap providers?
  2. If I upgrade to Unlimited Infinity 1 will I have to start another 18 month contract and will I qualify for any of the freebies which new customers seem to get (vouchers, discounts...)
Thanks!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    athomick wrote: »
    I have Infinity 1 and need to change to an unlimited package. I have 8 or 9 months left on my contract so think that I need to stick with BT and get Unlimited Infinity 1.
    1. Do I have any other sensible options i.e. am I likely to lose too much money in fees if I try to swap providers?
    >>>8or 9 x your current payments is lost if you move to another provider .

1. If I upgrade to Unlimited Infinity 1 will I have to start another 18 month contract.
    >>>Yes more than likely .

1. and will I qualify for any of the freebies which new customers seem to get (vouchers, discounts...)
    >>>>No you are not a new customer .
    Why not ask on the BT forum or ask BT .
  • athomick
    athomick Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I would rather know what my options are before speaking to BT about it as they are unlikely to be impartial. They might not point out that a mid contract price rise gives me the option of cancelling for instance.

The BT forum is a good idea though.
  • wildwestfan
    Options
    I changed to infinity unlimited earlier this year. I was already out of contract and that did not change.
  • athomick
    Options
    There has been a price rise recently which I will be informed about via email within the next month. I then intend to cancel my contract as per the terms and conditions and get an unlimited fibre optic deal with another (cheaper) provider. I imagine BT will try to retain the business at the point of cancellation and I'll see what they have to offer.
  • djp64
    djp64 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I changed from BT infinity 1 (when it was limited to 40GB) to BT Infinity 2 (for the unlimited element) about 3 or 4 months into the original Infinity 1 contract. The contract period remained unchanged, all I had to pay was the additional charge for 2 for the remaining 14 months of the original contract

Debbie
  • athomick
    Options
    I spoke to BT yesterday and they told me that I would need to start a new contract!??!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure