PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have already spent a huge amount of November's budget and have 25 days left! I should not need to spend a thing until my Mr T delivery on Friday. My big spends include a years worth of toothpast and toothbrush heads, stocking up on some GF items and 2 takeaways:eek:

I managed to pick up 16 YS GF rolls in Mr S when we popped in for a couple of things I had forgotten off the last Mr T order. These should cover lunches for the rest of the month for me either filled or with some HM soup.

I have done a meal plan until the end of the month (20th) and I have almost everything I need in for main meals but will need lunch stuff, bread, milk and lots of fruit, oh and beer and wine:o

This month is really tight for us and I have no option but to come in on budget as our other money is committed elsewhere.

DH is out for a meal tonight with work so I am going to have omelette for tea and make 2 portions of soup and a chicken and leek pie filling to use up 3 leeks and a coffee cake for lunches.

I have a lot of sausages in as we bought a load at a food fair then even more on the M&S 3 for 2 but I need to double check how much chicken I have left as I may need to buy another 2kg tray (£10).

I am going to stick with the Mr T deliveries this month but make sure I get everything I need in this shop as it is the pop in shops afterwards for forgotten items that double and triple my spend for the week.

Meal plan for the rest of this week:

M - Omelette, wedges and beans
    T - Courgette pasta bake (using up 3 courgettes, chorizo and 2 mozarella balls)
    W - Chicken and leek gratin (made Mon to use up leeks)
    Th - Carbonarra and garlic bread
    F - Posh sausages, mash and frozen veg
    Sa - HM Indian Fakeaway
    Su - Mums for lunch, Jacket pots for tea
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone and thank you for new thread, support, ideas and inspiration. I'd like to set a budget for £200for November please, I'd love to be able to stick to that, I have a separate budget for Christmas though
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Got my first load of shopping for November at the weekend (eeek - where has the year gone??!) and am now standing at £33.44 / £175.

Easy week foodwise:

Sun 27 - steak, chips (for OH) and salad with a peppercorn sauce (made by OH)
    Mon 28 - salmon, rice and stir-fried veg
    Tues 29 - OH working so I’ll probably make some kind of pasta
    Wed 30 – beef pasta with salad (from freezer)
    Thurs 31 - squash and ricotta canneloni with salad (from freezer)
    Fri 1 - pizza with salad (dough from freezer)
    Sat 2 – veggie chilli with rice

Really annoyed with Mr A as I ordered two sirloin steaks and one of the ones they sent was a rib-eye steak! It was the same price but nowhere near as nice to my mind - I would know as I let OH have the sirloin :(

Debating whether they will do anything about it if I complain seeing as how I ate it anyway (didn't notice until opening the packet and the receipt says 2x sirloins so didn't notice when the delivery came). It's actually the first time I have ever bought and cooked myself steak (normally make for OH and have a veggie meal or fish myself) so doubly annoyed as it was supposed to be a treat and it's not exactly often we spend £7 on meat for one meal!!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got my first load of shopping for November at the weekend (eeek - where has the year gone??!) and am now standing at £33.44 / £175.

Easy week foodwise:

Sun 27 - steak, chips (for OH) and salad with a peppercorn sauce (made by OH)
    Mon 28 - salmon, rice and stir-fried veg
    Tues 29 - OH working so I’ll probably make some kind of pasta
    Wed 30 – beef pasta with salad (from freezer)
    Thurs 31 - squash and ricotta canneloni with salad (from freezer)
    Fri 1 - pizza with salad (dough from freezer)
    Sat 2 – veggie chilli with rice

Really annoyed with Mr A as I ordered two sirloin steaks and one of the ones they sent was a rib-eye steak! It was the same price but nowhere near as nice to my mind - I would know as I let OH have the sirloin :(

Debating whether they will do anything about it if I complain seeing as how I ate it anyway (didn't notice until opening the packet and the receipt says 2x sirloins so didn't notice when the delivery came). It's actually the first time I have ever bought and cooked myself steak (normally make for OH and have a veggie meal or fish myself) so doubly annoyed as it was supposed to be a treat and it's not exactly often we spend £7 on meat for one meal!!

I would email them and complain, saying how disapointed you were and point out that they did not point out this was substituted therefore you did not have the option to return.
    Slimming World at target
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi all starting today,not giving a total as STILL eating out of freezers,can proudly claim to be the owner of an empty freezer, 1 down 2 to go. its to be defrosted now and refilled with ys stuff only! other freezer is half filled with meat so it be longer going thru that 1. and third is a nightmare its the bits freezer.........bits of this , bits of that. only 2 fish when theres 3 of us so someone eats different meal,hate that. so its a lot harder to eat thru. and I know I can eat it for lunches but its all too heavy a meal for lunch iykwim. anyway good luck all xxx:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Count me in again 300 for the month but I am going to try and get some bits for Christmas included in that
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry am on tablet at minute and hadn't realized it was all red . technology and me aren't a good fit.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Hellloooooo November and you could not have come soon enough, get paid this Friday and setting Budget at £200 for me and other half. Will get christmassy food on a weekly basis and hope that it does not send me over budget. Many thanks for new thread Admin, good luck everyone !!!!
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • flyinggiraffe_2
    Options
    Had my first November spend today. I forgot to take anything out of the freezer for tonight, and have my big shop being delivered tomorrow.

So I spent £2 on a reduced just eat chicken thing, 3 chocolate bars for the office at £1.20, eggs from the chicken lady in work and clotted cream from the dairy farmers wife in work.signature updated to show.

I'm still in shock at how little my grocery spend was last month, but it wasn't typical as it was down to having no money left in the account. Have received work expenses back and have all my meetings booked in,so hopefully won't be spending £300 on work travel this month.
  • Pandora_2
    Pandora_2 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    First day of the November Challenge for me has started well with a NSD! :)
    Tomorrow I will be doing full inventories and attempting meal plans - don't know why but I just find meal planning sooooooooo difficult!!
    Going to have a budget of £70 this month, starting today and ending on Sunday 1st December. It will be a 5 week month so that's £10 per week plus £20 for bulk buys, extra YS stuff and some Xmas stuff.
    Here's hoping November goes better than October!! :p
    Good luck everyone, and thanks to the admins who look after us :beer:
    :ADFW Nerd 145:A
    LBM - June 2006 - DEBTS - £19,261.08 :eek:
    Nov 2017 - £10,644.92!!
    Debt free date - 13/08/2022 - the day before I turn 40!!!!! :beer:
    Grocery Challenge - Dec 2017 £30.63/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing