Weekly Spend Challenge W/C 20th October 2013

EverTheOptimist
EverTheOptimist Posts: 2,694 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 October 2013 at 8:10PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Hello everyone. Welcome to the Weekly Spend Challenge. This challenge is open to anybody, no matter what financial place they are in.

On this thread please post an amount of money you wish to stay below within the week (Sunday to end of working day on Friday). This can be pennies or thousands it depends on the individual. Then next Saturday report back and pledge for the following week. The challenge runs from Sunday to Friday so we don't include Saturdays but feel free to change the rules to suit you and include Saturdays or start on a different day.

Feel free to update this thread with daily spends if that keeps you on track. We colour code the results as below:

Green - within budget
Red - over budget
Purple - zero spend
Orange - made money over the week

This is a little bit of fun but for many it highlights the fact that maybe that magazine/chocolate bar isn't needed. Hopefully your spending habits can be changed forever.

Moozie was the founder of this challenge and here is a quote taken from her:

Originally Posted by Moozie:
"Good afternoon lovely DFWs Now for anyone looking in, please feel free to join - the more the merrier! Basically, decide on the amount you want to spend up to from Sunday until the end of the working day on Friday then pledge it here and off we go! The challenge is about incidental spending and not for stuff that should be budgeted elsewhere such as bills, groceries, debt repayment etc but you decide what to include at the end - this is about changing your habits and improving your recording of your spends more than anything else. Have a great week everyone and keep it low!!! Moozie x"

Good Luck Everyone

W/C 13th October 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £25 / £57.23
Flyinggiraffe - £10 / £17.90

Verityemilia - £40
CasperTheFriendlyGhost - £5/ £2.70
MissE001 - £10 / £2.40
Splodgethefirst - £0 / £0
DellyC - £25 / +£25
ShootForTheMoon - £10
Munchin - £20 / £8.99
Townses - £25 / £49.44
WantToBeSE - £10
bt1 - £35 / £26.58
Moneytree1 - £20
Sazaccount - £50

W/C 20th October 2013 challengers / pledges / totals

EverTheOptimist - £10
MissMelLady - £20
Munchin - £50
MissE001 - £7.60
Flyinggiraffe - £10
Townses - £20
DellyC - £60
Jonesy88 - £10
Splodgethefirst - £5
Mooomin - £20
Casperthefriendlyghost - £40
Thrifty Fashionista - £15
bt1 - £45
SPC 14 Target £200 /
Debt: £11850

Comments

• After a dreadful week last week I'm pledging £10 this week, I'm taking a £10 out of my account and that is it. Again nothing really planned other than baby groups.

We've been invited to a first birthday party next Saturday so need to buy a small gift but that will come from joint account. I may do a small shop but still have grocery money left.
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • Good morning & happy Sunday everybody.
    First things first, I would like to pledge £20 for the week, and extend my thanks to ETO for the thread!

A lot has been happening over the last few weeks, I did go off the rails and spend, spend, spend. I don't know what came over me to be honest! I somehow managed to work up a huge amount on my credit card (which I have since managed to pay off) but it's eaten into my savings so I'm sad and feeling the pinch. I'm trying not to let it happen again. That's were you lot come in. I hope you don't mind but I'm planning on posting here daily because I think that may help. Also I feel £20 is manageable.

Hope you have a lovely day, no doubt I will post back on here later today. xx

Sealed Pot Challenge #2035 £40.70
    Weekly Spend Challenge w/c 10th November - £3.90/£30.00
    Debt free since 17/10/2013 :j
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all

I was under budget last week -
    £8.99/£20. I would like to budget £50 for the week ahead.

Planned spends for week ahead

Sun - £20 (nephew sitting:))
    Mon - NSD
    Tues - NSD
    Wed - £5 judo with nephew
    Thurs - NSD
    Fri - £20 weekend

• MissE001
    MissE001 Posts: 797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for this week's thread ETO :)

MissMelLady
    - good luck with your £20 pledge for the week. Looking forward to your daily updates and helping to keep you on the straight and narrow :)

So, I managed to spend very little last week and stayed nice and green with £2.40 / £10

It's still another 11 days till payday :eek: so I'm going to aim not to spend any more than what's left from last week's pot

£7.60 this week please - have a good one everyone :T
    SPC Member #112 :A Save £2k in 2014 # 160 :money:
  • Went over last week because of some cheeky drinks in the pub, so this week I WILL do better.

Going to pledge £10.00 again.

Birthday card for mother
    Fat club
  • Townses
    Townses Posts: 32 Forumite
    Count me in again after my first disastrous week - I'm determined to do better today :)

I'll pledge £20 this week and see where we go. Can start off by saying:

Sun NSD as although having a meal out this evening after some free geocaching fun, this has been planned for weeks so doesn't count!
  • DellyC
    DellyC Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I pledge £60this week (seems a lot but I'm off to London for couple of days)

Sun-NSD
    Mon-NSD
    Tues-London £20
    Weds - London £20
    Thurs -NSD
    Fri-NSD
    £20 contingency
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi all

I'm updating now as I'm not venturing towards a shop this afternoon/evening.

Mon - £19.60 (trip to cinema + donuts earlier = extortionate)
  • Good evening everybody! Thanks MissE001, congrats on your tiny spend last week! That's very inspirational!
    Today I spent £3.20 on various items for my blog photography.
    Quite pleased with myself because I went into two different supermarkets so could have spent a fortune!

Sealed Pot Challenge #2035 £40.70
    Weekly Spend Challenge w/c 10th November - £3.90/£30.00
    Debt free since 17/10/2013 :j
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Can i join in again please ETO?

I pledge £10 for week to include £4 tea money due at work and a £3.50 friday "treat" of a meal deal lunch at work if i manage to keep within budget!
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure