MSE News: British Gas hikes energy prices by 9.2%

Options
"Prices for British Gas customers, will rise by 10.4% for electricity and by 8.4% for gas from 23 November..."
Read the full story:

British Gas hikes energy prices by 9.2%

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2013 at 11:11AM
    Options
    Q. Anything else I can do to cut my bill?

Yes, use less ;)

Contact your supplier who will gladly provide you with information on how to economise.

e.g. I understand BG are going to be doing another big push on free/cheap insulation again shortly.

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/energy-saving/home-insulation.html
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I realise energy companies put up their prices each year, but does anyone else think that the slightly higher % increase is partly down to certain people saying they are going to freeze gas/electricity prices in the future?!
    I think the energy companies are increasing their prices (and profits!) as per usual, and then by a little bit more to cover themselves just in case.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    On the bright side good news for the share price and dividends. The shares have increased 25 fold since privatisation in the 80's - good old Maggie. Certainly wouldn't want to be a customer though.

Royal Mail next - stamps will be £5 second class, £10 first class in 10 years time. Hold on to RM shares if you have them.
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and their profits where up by 3.2% last year.

BG always seem to be the quickest to hike prices.

would never use them as they're always one of the most expensive. and i help friends an family to steer well clear of them too.

i reckon all BG customers should leave. then lets see what BG have to say.
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 October 2013 at 12:11PM
    Options
    I have just done a search on MSE cheap energy club here
    and BG dont even get a mention based on actual usage kWh. I am on BG online variable Nov 2013 but as prices wont rise until 23rd Nov I only be able to leave then or on 30th November when tarrif ends if I want to avoid the £60 charge

I know price rise are inevitable based on supply and demand on workld prices but its sickening this is happening every year now and more and more people are pushed into fuel poverty while someone is making serious money I am not saying its all down to utility companies
  • pothole50
    Options
    Fed up with BG now so did a comparision to get it cheaper, through Quidco and decided on First Utility. Got onto the web page filled in the form agreed to terms and conditions, then on the next page it said'
    "According to industry records you don’t appear to have an existing electricity supply to your home. There could be a number of reasons for this, but if you’re sure that you have an existing connection you’ll need to contact your current supplier so that they can update the information contained in the industry records. Once they have, you can re-apply to switch to First Utility."

So I have no electricity to my property amazing
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    prices are all regionalised.
    im central scotland and BG is cheapest for electric for me.
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • CRISPIANNE3
    CRISPIANNE3 Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Seems like BG getting their rises in now incase Labour win the next election.

Also people no good moaning about it. We have had plenty of warning and some of us have been wise to go on a fix rate.

Mine is fixed until March 2015.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2013 at 2:33PM
    Options
    A fix tarrif only gives you peace of mind it might not necessary be cheaper in long run it always a gamble sometimes it may pay off sometimes it doesn't

In my case just for gas alone it will costs me £142.80 extra per year for price fix to March 2016. Electric will be £126.75 extra per year a whooping £268 extra based on my usage a year
    Seems like BG getting their rises in now incase Labour win the next election.

Also people no good moaning about it. We have had plenty of warning and some of us have been wise to go on a fix rate.

Mine is fixed until March 2015.
  • bloss0m
    bloss0m Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I mights switch to SP Online Fixed Price Energy March 2015 | Fixed till 31 Mar 2015 saving of £42/year.

If I switch my current tarrif ends on 30th November but the price goes up on 23rd. I realise when you switch it takes a while month or s, what's best time to switch with out incurring a £30 per fuel surcharge
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure