Whats the best software for monitoring stocks and shares???

Options
Hi,
I dont know if this is correct place to post this. Apologise if not. Can someone please advise on the best software for monitor stock and shares?

Cheers.

Comments

• John1993_2
    John1993_2 Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    Options
    Bloomberg is the industry standard, used by pretty much everyone. Some will have Reuters instead, or as well.
  • wary
    wary Posts: 789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I believe that most intraday prices are 15-minute delayed. ADVFN does give you a real-time (or near real-time) graph though.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As John1993 says, Bloomberg or Reuters are the industry standards, but I'm sure you aren't looking to pay the best part of £1000 per month for a terminal.

If you just want to monitor prices then there are host of news/investment web sites that take their feeds (albeit delayed) from one of the aforementioned providers. Try typing a ticker symbol you want to monitor into google and take your pick of the many options - if you find one you like then use that site to monitor all your stocks.
  • Ologhai
    Ologhai Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I like the uncluttered look of Google's finance page (http://www.google.co.uk/finance), but on occasion I've noticed odd glitches in the charts--yesterday's Royal Mail Close at 330p is an example--so I take the trouble to look elsewhere (even if I like the look of the charts less) if I'm in any doubts about what I'm seeing.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ologhai wrote: »
    I like the uncluttered look of Google's finance page (http://www.google.co.uk/finance), but on occasion I've noticed odd glitches in the charts--yesterday's Royal Mail Close at 330p is an example--so I take the trouble to look elsewhere (even if I like the look of the charts less) if I'm in any doubts about what I'm seeing.
    Yes I mostly use Google Finance too. On the plus side the charts are brilliant and very unusually (for a free product) the prices are real time.

On the minus side some funds have never been supported and others seem to have stopped getting prices recently leaving my Portfolios with duff totals. The attempt to keep track of cash in portfolios is hopeless and impossible to switch off completely.
  • aktivemac
    Options
    'Investoscope' for the mac is very good, and my main software for tracking my portfolio.

Not sure what might be good for PC.
  • plunt
    plunt Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    if i remember correctly http://www.shareprice.co.uk/ was the only place i found with live prices that allowed me to have a virtual portfolio. may have changed since i last used it though.
  • im1dful
    im1dful Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Reaper wrote: »
    Yes I mostly use Google Finance too. On the plus side the charts are brilliant and very unusually (for a free product) the prices are real time.

On the minus side some funds have never been supported and others seem to have stopped getting prices recently leaving my Portfolios with duff totals. The attempt to keep track of cash in portfolios is hopeless and impossible to switch off completely.

I also use Google to track my portfolio and use the Android App for my "Watch List" to look at the changes in prices, charts and news for shares I might buy. For more detailed information I would use other sites though.

With regard to cash, I've got Google to ignore it completely. It got confusing when it tried to track that, it just tracks the value of the portfolio, not when I add cash or when I receive dividends.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I generally use LSE, you know London Stock Exchange own site....

Cheers,
    Joe
  • Chickereeeee
    Options
    When OP says 'software' I assume he means that, rather than a website.

I am still amazed that only Microsoft Money (obsolete, but still going with help from the community) seems to be usable as software to track stock/fund prices, calculate capital gains, income, and movements between cash and investment accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure