MSE News: British Airways extends hand luggage-only fares to all short-haul flights

"British Airways is rolling out cut-price hand luggage-only fares across its entire short-haul network..."
Read the full story:

British Airways extends hand luggage-only fares to all short-haul flights

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• jacques_chiracjacques_chirac Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Odd how differently BA is reported compared to the low cost/ no frills airlines - calm and factual as opposed to sensationalist and exagerrated - when what BA are doing is trying to match the no frills model.
  • Because the strategy is a lot more kinder to the consumer.

Showing the ability to reduce your costs when booking as opposed to bumping them up along the way is much much more marketable.

Its a great move.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's just reacting to the low frills competition.

The idea is to have the cheapest flights show up in price comparisons. BA now have that chance whereas previously they could have appeared more expensive for someone with hand baggage only.

For regular travellers, BA still has some advantages including free seat selection 24 hours ahead and complimentary inflight catering. For a one off flight, those are probably less important.

Interesting that the new fares are available from Heathrow, notably an easyJet/Ryanair-free airport. :D
  • But I do like the approach. They're allowing you to book cheaper seats. Not more expensive seats.
    That is what people will notice.
    And that fact its from Heathrow as well? That is a killer move. That will certainly be well received.
  • Moto2Moto2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    marsman802 wrote: »
    And that fact its from Heathrow as well? That is a killer move. That will certainly be well received.

That would sort of depend where in the UK you live or travel from
    It registers somewhere below zero on my 'give-a-toss-ometer'
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • Bearing in mind its the most densely populated part of the country then I'm sure it does make a diff to BA. They've now got both LGW and LHR opened up for hand baggage only tickets.

You can argue the point but I know its been well received - I just think they've done something pretty good here that's all.

This isn't just about Easyjet and Ryanair but now they've taken a leap against the full-service carriers who don't offer this option at all.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's from LCY aswell.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Roger1Roger1 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    marsman802 wrote: »
    This isn't just about Easyjet and Ryanair but now they've taken a leap against the full-service carriers who don't offer this option at all.
    Just from memory I can think of Air France, KLM and Swiss who are doing this (Swiss just to/from Geneva so far, obviously because easyJet is so big there).
  • Good shout. Leaves a few biggies to still follow suit doesn't it. Only a matter of time before Lufthansa and Alitalia follow suit surely.

Michael O'Leary reckons charging for hand luggage should be an option but he isn't sure how it would be administered. An interesting one I guess.
  • Hate ba worst company ever!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides