PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Abode/Action Conveyancing not responding - advise required

Options
nav_
nav_ Posts: 13 Forumite
edited 1 October 2013 at 3:47PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

I instructed Action Conveyancing (trading name of Abode Solicitors aka Arc Property Solicitors) back in May and have had non stop issues with them from the case handler lying to me about the progress of the case to case handlers being switched off my case (old ones having left/let go) without notice or documents/searches not being requested on time.

Usually through all of this i'm able to get in contact with at least someone there to resolve the issues but the last 2 days i have been unable to contact anyone at the firm - my case handler now is usually pretty prompt but i fear he's probably been let go as there is no answer via emails or his direct dial. Even dialing random extension numbers hasn't worked (the method i used to get through to someone the last time this happened).

I really don't know what todo - they have £31k of my money not to mention the fees for searches i've already paid. I also sent them my passport on the weekend as they needed to certify it as the firm acting on behalf of the lender (Action were recently struct off the Halifax panel) required it be certified by a solicitor/conveyancer.

As they regulated by the SRA i logged a complaint with the firm the SRA recommend (Legal Ombudsman) and they have informed me that Abode Solicitors are still trading however they cannot follow up on anything for 8 weeks! Due to the delay caused by Action my purchase is about to collapse at any moment and I cannot wait this period of time.

Feeling extremely stressed, with hindsight i should have just switched firms when i had the chance but just thought it cannot get any worse, guess i was wrong. Anyone able to suggest what i should do? I want my £31k and passport back...what chance do i have of getting that anytime soon?

Cheers..

Comments

• Richard_Webster
    Options
    Send a recorded delivery letter (or deliver in person if you are near enough) to the Senior Partner of the practice marked "private and confidential" setting out in full your concerns and complaints. Ask them to deal with the matter promptly, telling you in writing where your matter has got to and what still needs to be done and threaten the Legal Ombudsman if they don't.

(Contacting the Ombudsman initially isn't really a help unless you have first tried to resolve the matter with the practice. Phone calls will not be recorded so are not a reliable record in this kind of case. Put it in writing and when there is a phone conversation follow it up with an e-mail confirming what has been discussed. Insist they give you an e-mail address for contact.)
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    nav_ wrote: »
    Hi all,

I instructed Action Conveyancing (trading name of Abode Solicitors) back in May and have had non stop issues with them from the case handler lying to me about the progress of the case to case handlers being switched off my case (old ones having left/let go) without notice or documents/searches not being requested on time.

Usually through all of this i'm able to get in contact with at least someone there to resolve the issues but the last 2 days i have been unable to contact anyone at the firm - my case handler now is usually pretty prompt but i fear he's probably been let go as there is no answer via emails or his direct dial. Even dialing random extension numbers hasn't worked (the method i used to get through to someone the last time this happened).

I really don't know what todo - they have £31k of my money not to mention the fees for searches i've already paid. I also sent them my passport on the weekend as they needed to certify it as the firm acting on behalf of the lender (Action were recently struct off the Halifax panel) required it be certified by a solicitor/conveyancer.

As they regulated by the SRA i logged a complaint with the firm the SRA recommend (Legal Ombudsman) and they have informed me that Abode Solicitors are still trading however they cannot follow up on anything for 8 weeks! Due to the delay caused by Action my purchase is about to collapse at any moment and I cannot wait this period of time.

Feeling extremely stressed, with hindsight i should have just switched firms when i had the chance but just thought it cannot get any worse, guess i was wrong. Anyone able to suggest what i should do? I want my £31k and passport back...what chance do i have of getting that anytime soon?

Cheers..

Were they recommended to you or were they cheap?

http://www.freeindex.co.uk/profile(action-conveyancing)_222143.htm
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • notanewuser
    Options
  • nav_
    Options
    I have been complaining throughout the process and was told my complaints were being logged - last week i was told no complaints have been logged on my file so i sent them an email detailing each individual one which they confirmed was logged against my file and that they would get back to me regarding them. Unfortunately i don't live near the firms office.

I was recommended them from a family member that completed on 2 properties without any issues. I had another firm in mind at the time but changed to this one based on his recommendations...such a big mistake.
  • nav_
    Options
    Rumour has it they've ceased trading.

Yea i have that feeling, but the official standpoint is they are still trading at the moment so i cannot pursue any avenues that involve the closure of a company.
  • notanewuser
    Options
    It doesn't sound like they are!!
  • Catti
    Catti Posts: 372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 October 2013 at 10:21AM
    Options
    Try contacting a neighbouring business and ask if they are still there??

Such as http://www.cladding.co.uk/about-us

And consider the SRA record?/
    http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check/537244.article?Decision-1
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Catti wrote: »

Such as http://www.cladding.co.uk/about-us

And consider the SRA record?/
    http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/solicitor-check/537244.article?Decision-1

snip
    • Permitted the use of one client’s funds for the benefit of another client without authority from the first client to do so.
    • Allowed client bank account to be used as a banking facility.

Wowsers
  • nav_
    Options
    Catti wrote: »

Thanks for the advise, tried contacting that firm - they don't have much of an idea as the business park is pretty big - shall try to find another one.
  • nav_
    Options
    Well it appears my passport was undelivered which basically means no-one is answering the doors at the office...guess thats pretty bad news.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure