Lightbulbs !!!!

Every blooming light you buy needs a bulb with a different fitting , I've got a drawer full of them but still didn't have the ones I needed for my new lamp. I reckon I need at least 8 different types/fittings throughout the house:eek:
More than once I've bought the wrong ones when I've been shopping because all the boxes are similar

Comments

• Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    nwc389 wrote: »
    Every blooming light you buy needs a bulb with a different fitting , I've got a drawer full of them but still didn't have the ones I needed for my new lamp. I reckon I need at least 8 different types/fittings throughout the house:eek:
    More than once I've bought the wrong ones when I've been shopping because all the boxes are similar

It is very annoying.

Once, we just had standard bayonet in the UK.

Now, we have:

Bayonet
    Small bayonet
    Edison screw
    Small Edison screw
    And those absurd, cheap and nasty, two pronged affairs that tend to stick and, once they do, are extremely difficult to get out of the fittings into which they are a flush fit.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Brilliant idea! The only problem is that when you use an adaptor the bulbs don't sit flush. But I'm still impressed and shall be buying some so I can use up my old bulbs.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • Azari
    Forumite

Sometimes they are a good solution but, as joansgirl says, it does mean that the bulb tends to stick out - which may or may not be a problem.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I find bulbs to be quite cheap anyway and last a long time (depending on the device of course). I would have thought it would be cheaper to just buy the correct bulb for the correct device as opposed to buying loads of the same sort of bulb and lots of adaptors?
    Are bulbs even that expensive? I am sure last time I bought some they were less than a quid?

I admit its annoying when you don't have the right bulb but as a replacement bulb is not that expensive its one of those annoying inconveniences when buying an adaptor is a bit of an overkill!
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    I find bulbs to be quite cheap anyway and last a long time (depending on the device of course). I would have thought it would be cheaper to just buy the correct bulb for the correct device as opposed to buying loads of the same sort of bulb and lots of adaptors?
    Are bulbs even that expensive? I am sure last time I bought some they were less than a quid?

I admit its annoying when you don't have the right bulb but as a replacement bulb is not that expensive its one of those annoying inconveniences when buying an adaptor is a bit of an overkill!

Energy saving bulbs are quite expensive sometimes and I can't always get the right sized bulbs to fit my 3 bulb/fan light fitments. I have 3 fitments like this and 2 of them are ses and the other is es. They have small glass shades and you have to be careful how wide the actual bulb is as sometimes they won't fit inside the shade. Then when you find a bulb that does fit the shade sods law dictates that it's the wrong fitting at the bottom of the bulb. I've got long life bulbs that I can't use anywhere in the house for this reason so the adaptors will be handy for that. I remain impressed!:)
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
  • Azari
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2013 at 4:32PM
    Are bulbs even that expensive?

I admit its annoying when you don't have the right bulb but as a replacement bulb is not that expensive its one of those annoying inconveniences when buying an adaptor is a bit of an overkill![/QUOTE]

There are so many other factors involved with bulbs nowadays, including light output (which can vary wildly for CFC equivalent wattages), colour temperature, and dispersion characteristics.

If you know exactly which type of bulb you need for any given situation, you are correct, it's better to have the correct bulb.

But it often happens that you buy a bulb - often quite an expensive type, and find the colour balance is wrong or the dispersion does not suit the application or it's nowhere near as powerful as claimed - and it would be nice if you could just put it away and use it somewhere else at a future time. (Remember that you can't try bulbs out before purchase.)
    I am sure last time I bought some they were less than a quid?

Is that a statement or a question?

Surely you know.

Buying CFC's for less than £1 is likely to get you a very poor quality bulb which may well not last very long.

It's also often hard to impossible to find the power/fitting/shape you need in whatever cheap bulbs happen to be available. (And you won't get LED types for that price for some years yet.)
  • JReacher1
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2013 at 4:44PM
    joansgirl wrote: »
    Energy saving bulbs are quite expensive sometimes and I can't always get the right sized bulbs to fit my 3 bulb/fan light fitments. I have 3 fitments like this and 2 of them are ses and the other is es. They have small glass shades and you have to be careful how wide the actual bulb is as sometimes they won't fit inside the shade. Then when you find a bulb that does fit the shade sods law dictates that it's the wrong fitting at the bottom of the bulb. I've got long life bulbs that I can't use anywhere in the house for this reason so the adaptors will be handy for that. I remain impressed!:)

fair enough. I've loads of energy saving lightbulbs as energy companies kept on sending them to me for free. I've only changed one in 7 years!

The product just reminds me of a dragon's den episode where a product is introduced and they refuse to invest as its a product created to solve a problem that isn't really much of a problem!

Although I see for you that its solved the problem and made life better and lets face it thats the point of technology!
  • JReacher1
    Forumite
    Azari wrote: »
    Is that a statement or a question?

Surely you know.

Its been a while since I bought some and I just bought them as part of a regular shop in Tesco. I remember the price wasn't significant enough for me to note the price and think thats expensive. I would go as far to say it may have been £2 but again thats just a shot in the dark (clever bulb pun there).
  • Azari
    Forumite
    Its been a while since I bought some and I just bought them as part of a regular shop in Tesco. I remember the price wasn't significant enough for me to note the price and think thats expensive. I would go as far to say it may have been £2 but again thats just a shot in the dark (clever bulb pun there).

That's interesting as I think Tesco have started selling more expesive versions now.

As luck would have it I need and SES CFC for a lamp where I bought an LED but found the dispersal pattern made it all but useless.

I actually checked this morning on line and they are charging £3.60 for a 7w (30w Eqv) or £5.00 for a 9w (40w Eqv).

However, I won't object if the bulb has a reasonably fast start up and good colour balance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure