Do you believe fracking in the UK will bring lower consumer energy costs?

Wondering what people out there think.

Will UK fracking lower end user energy costs? 86 votes

Yes
26% 23 votes
No
73% 63 votes

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    No.

Now the gas / oil companies know how much they can take us for they will continue to take us for as much as they can. We can't really shop around as the big 6 pretty much set their prices against each other. While the market is in the poor state (for the consumer) that it is we just have to live with being ripped off.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    Nah, they'll just go with same prices and bigger profit margins. Though they may just have a cut initially to have something to brag about and then swiftly bump things back up.

Edit: I would however be very happy to be proven wrong :cool:
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cynical lot, aren't we?. Or is it that we've all lived long enough to know how it works?
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    If not reduce, it should at least stabilize the price of gas, and given the large number of gas fired power stations, that will affect electricity prices.

It will largely depend if North America start exporting huge quantities of 'fracked gas'. If they do it will drag down world prices.

This is an indication of gas prices in the USA:

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/rngwhhdm.htm
  • mi_jardin
    mi_jardin Posts: 584 Forumite
    They still have us over a barrel, so it wont ever go down.
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I've clicked no, mainly because I believe that any token drop in prices will go back up soon after. We'll all get sucked in and think we're getting a good deal. They'll have a load of excuses ready to justify the price going back up again. The cartel that sells us gas won't allow their obscene profits to dip.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It will lead to less price rises or smaller rises but no actual discounts as such. Any benefits will largely be seen by the shareholders of the major utility companies.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • samizdat
    samizdat Posts: 398 Forumite
    It's early days, but I'm very optimistic fracking will lead to lower gas and electricity prices in the UK.

It has in the USA, so why not here? I don't believe the so-called Big 6 have anything like the market dominance people here seem to think they have, and even if they do, this will not survive if a huge new source of cheap energy can be tapped here.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm with the rest, no chance of it coming down, they will use the cheaper energy reason to get fracking permission but like Gra76 says, will have a zillion reasons why cost does not go down

The only up side would be we have our own gas, on our own soil again and not subject to whoever turning of thew gas tap
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No fracking chance.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure