Can't get decent BB without a phone line it seems!

Options
I am currently using Virgin BB 30meg Fiber optic which is great as you don't need a phone line. However I am having to move shortly to an area with no Virgin cable, so I have been calling BT/Sky etc who all say you need to rent a phone line, but I don't want or need a line! what are my options regarding getting a decent internet download speed without having to pay £41 odd quid a month instead of £23 which I am happily paying now.

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,501 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    xDSL broadband needs a phone line, it's an additional service delivered over the phone line, so you will need one if you want to use those types of services. The option is to look into mobile broadband.
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If broadband companies sold cars, they would make you buy a horse with every car.
    They just can not get their heads around, people do not want a !!!!!!!g telephone.
    Be happy...;)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    ...and most internet users can't get their heads around the fact that ADSL broadband isn't delivered by magic but needs a phone line (which has to be maintained) running from the exchange to the house.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    If broadband companies sold cars, they would make you buy a horse with every car.
    They just can not get their heads around, people do not want a !!!!!!!g telephone.

More like people would be complaining their car needed wheels and an engine.

You physically require a phone line for xDSL, that has to be paid for.
    Now normally the way that is paid for is you have to get line rental (IE a telephone line) with the broadband.

I think there may be someone who does xDSL without a telephone line, but you'll still be paying line rental even if you can't use a phone on it, as the line rental is there to pay to keep the line operating and in reasonable repair.

The alternative would be for the ISP's and BT not to require line rental but charge you every time any work was done on the line for any reason - and you'd probably find it cost far more than the line rental unless you were lucky, as even a simple fault that can be fixed in a few minutes will cost a hundred+ because of the need for a trained (and fully equipped) engineer to come and look at it, then fix it.
    If it's something slightly more complex the cost rockets up rapidly (it basically works on the same principle as insurance - everyone pays for line rental if they have a phone line regardless of it's use, and the cost of repairs, maintenance and upgrades come out of that so individual customers aren't hit with bills for hundreds, or thousands of pounds when the line needs work).
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 September 2013 at 6:40PM
    Options
    dx052 wrote: »
    I am currently using Virgin BB 30meg Fiber optic which is great as you don't need a phone line. However I am having to move shortly to an area with no Virgin cable, so I have been calling BT/Sky etc who all say you need to rent a phone line, but I don't want or need a line! what are my options regarding getting a decent internet download speed without having to pay £41 odd quid a month instead of £23 which I am happily paying now.

They use the phone line to get the DSL BB service to your home. And there is no way around this. So no phone line, no BB. There are other alternatives available, but they ain't cheap compared to a phone + BB package, I'm sorry to say.
  • Jamie_Carter
    Options
    Or the other alternative is satellite broadband, but that would probably be more expensive.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »

Yes they can get it into their heads, they just CAN'T SUPPLY ADSL / FIBRE WITHOUT ONE.

*Important part highlighted as you seem to have trouble accepting this. Worked in the ISP business for many years, and we'll be stuck with BB needing a telephone line for a long time yet.
  • dx052
    dx052 Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got it!! Just need to find an ISP now that can give me what I want in D/L speeds.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dx052 wrote: »
    Got it!! Just need to find an ISP now that can give me what I want in D/L speeds.
    www.samknows.com put your exchange/tel no in and find out what is available DSL facilities are available to you.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you choose a supplier offering annual Line Rental Saver (eg BT, Sky, Plusnet) then the cost is reduced to around £12pm equivalent.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport