We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Did You Know...

Options
That you could be paying for an 8mb connection and only receivng 2mb instead.

That's what happened to me, I upgraded to Tiscali's 8MB package at 17.99 thinking I'd be getting a betting speed, but instead my speed dropped to 1.3MB, got onto their technical dept who were completely useless at trying to increase the speed, the ironic thing was that I was on 2.4mb before the upgrade. Turns out that in my area I can only receive a maximum 2MB speed:rolleyes:

I tried to get a refund for the period I was supposedly be getting 8MB, Tiscali pointed out the small print, that the contract was for 'speed upto 8MB'
so I've been giving them £3 per month for nothing:mad: :mad:

My advise is check the maximum speed allowed in your area, before signing up for an unattainable package.

AMD
Debt Free!!!

Comments

• Hi AMILLIONDOLLARS,

Speeds up to 8Mb are much more sensitive than the old fixed rate package of 2Mb that you used to have.

If you were getting 2.4Mb on a fixed rate of 2Mb than I would strongly suspect that you you can do better than 1.3Mb on speeds up to 8Mb.

If I could try my hand at helping you out....

1. Could you please let us know what router model it is that you're using. I'd like to know what router you're using so that I can get you instructions on how to check your sync.

2. If you're not connected to the Internet via the Master socket please move the router to the master socket.

3. Do you have 1 microfilter fitted to every phone socket that is in use? Have you tested your microfilters yet to see if you've got any faulty ones in use? Faulty ones will really effect your speeds on 'up to 8Mb' service. Microfilters can go faulty over time and it's not unusual to have a microfilter interefering with the quality of your service.

To check your microfilters to see if you’ve got a faulty one, unplug everything from all phone sockets in the house, test each filter from the test port from within your master socket by connecting to the Internet. If you get a substantially lower sync using one of the filters you’ve found your faulty one and it will need to be replaced.

Let's start there and see where that gets us.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    AMILLIONDOLLARS Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Madasafish

The router/modem is tiscali supplied speedtouch. Its suppose to be their updated one. I changed over to this at the beginning of last month. I deleted the software for the old speedtouch and reloaded the new software of this new model (i'm at work so cant give you the model number at the moment). New filters were supplied and these were also changed over from the old ones.

The master socket? is this the first socket that connect to BT's outside line? would need to move the whole computer set-up there which is not possible as the socket is in the hall next to the front door.

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • Madasafish_Customer_Care
    Options
    Hi AMILLIOINDOLLARS,

The master socket is indeed the first socket to connect to BT's outside line.

Internal wiring and connecting your service off on an extension can make a mess of your speeds when you're on 'speeds up to 8Mb'. It wasn't like this on fixed rate products of 2Mb, 1Mb...etc.

If your router has an Ethernet connection on it, what I would recommend is locating the router at the master socket and then running a long Ethernet cable from the router to the computer. You can pick up very long Ethernet cables pretty inexpensively these days - and unlike telephone extension cabling the quality of the broadband service won't degrade over it.

If you're thinking that having a long Ethernet cable just isn't feasible - what I would recommend is borrowing a mate's laptop. Set up the router at the master socket and then test the speeds from there using the laptop. If you do see an improvement in the quality of your service using the master socket than if may be time to think about getting a wireless router.

If you post your router model I'll do my best to find instructions for checking the sync - being able to check your sync is a great diagnostic tool to have.

Kind regards,
    Samara
    Madasafish Customer Care
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    AMILLIONDOLLARS Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Madasafish will try to remember to do this first thing tonight. By the way my daughter was talking about a connection through Virgin? that might be better
    Debt Free!!!
  • AMILLIONDOLLARS
    Options
    UPDATE: I downgraded to their 2MB service, and guess what? I can now get a 2.3mb service, madness or what!!!

AMD
    Debt Free!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills