MSE News: Petrol price battle: Asda and Sainsbury's to cut fuel costs

"Asda is to reduce petrol and diesel prices for the second time this week, while Sainsbury's will also cut costs tomorrow..."
Read the full story:

Petrol price battle: Asda and Sainsbury's to cut fuel costs

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Oh no surely MSE are not doing the Petrol Retailers' bidding again so soon? :mad:

Do you all get fully expensed cars or something? Don't you realise that the price at the pumps even at these new figures is still higher than it was when the ratchet has been applied upon previous feeble excuses over the past year yet the underlying wholesale price is way down compared to a year ago?

Do you think we still credit MSE with some independent voice on these matters?

Not for quite some time I think. The kindest interpretation we can put on it is that you have a blind spot through losing touch with living costs.

So until you have a tighter handle on reality on the forecourts, do please leave off MSE - it is so unbecoming.
    From the late great Tommy Cooper: "He said 'I'm going to chop off the bottom of one of your trouser legs and put it in a library.' I thought 'That's a turn-up for the books.' "
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    If Tesco is cutting petrol prices, is the 5 pence off offer still valid, too?
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • amf
    amf Posts: 483
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes, the 5p off doesn't depend on the standard price of the fuel.
  • Morrisons in Halifax have just dropped their prices by 6p a litre.
  • Sainsburys have just cut their price locally, just hours after OH filled up. Cue one unhappy bunny.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Filled up Portrack Stockton Asda Fri aft.Quite busy and had run out of unleaded at 2 pumps.Wonder if Shell ,esso etc will follow suit?
  • portly1
    portly1 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Where are all these cut price deals?

I live in the countryside midway between Canterbury and Walmer.
    I'm still paying (last Friday 27th) 143.9p for diesel!!

Filled the tank up cost over £80 and it was 1/4 full to start with.
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    jules888 wrote: »
    Wonder if Shell ,esso etc will follow suit?
    They haven't near me yet (Shell or BP). There's a Shell garage very near my local Morrisons and prices are usually identical but right now Morrisons is 5p/L cheaper!

Are supermarkets managing to make any profit on fuel at current prices I wonder? The current supermarket prices must seriously be making the like of BP and Shell sweat, as I suspect price differences this big will test many of their customers' loyalty.
  • portly1
    portly1 Posts: 283 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2013 at 11:08PM
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    They haven't near me yet (Shell or BP). There's a Shell garage very near my local Morrisons and prices are usually identical but right now Morrisons is 5p/L cheaper!

Are supermarkets managing to make any profit on fuel at current prices I wonder? The current supermarket prices must seriously be making the like of BP and Shell sweat, as I suspect price differences this big will test many of their customers' loyalty.

Just been to Sainsburys to get some ciggies and they are charging £1.37p for diesel. I never use supermarkets for fuel on the basis that if they can sell it cheap it must be cheap on quality!

7p a litre cheaper would make a full tank cost £5.25 less, but what is the cost to what it does to the engine I wonder?
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    portly1 wrote: »
    Just been to Sainsburys to get some ciggies and they are charging £1.37p for diesel. I never use supermarkets for fuel on the basis that if they can sell it cheap it must be cheap on quality!

7p a litre cheaper would make a full tank cost £5.25 less, but what is the cost to what it does to the engine I wonder?
    I'd be confident the fuel is identical to what it was a week ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure