Simple living in our tiny 500 sq ft cottage, on our way to becoming mortgage free.

Options
I'm starting this diary as we are making our first over payment today!

In early spring this year we downsized from a three bed rental which was over 1000 sq ft in size with three bedrooms and downsized by buying a two bedroom cottage which is just over 500 sq ft. We are a family of four, two adults and two children.

We have a Nationwide mortgage and the amount advanced to us was £142,200.00 over a 30 year term. The interest rate is 4.99 % and fixed for five years which expires January 2018.

As it stands, the agreed payment date is January 2043.
We want to bring the length of the term DOWN!

A bit about me/our family:

Interested in the tiny house living and downsizing movement in conjunction with children and family life.

I'm life long vegetarian and the children are also vegetarian.

We eat organic food, frugally!

We cook from scratch and bake all our own bread.

I'm personally interested in minimalism and family life.

We currently renovating our cottage, moving the staircase, stripping original floorboards, replastering everywhere, installing a woodburner...etc etc

Planning on container growing veg in our tiny courtyard garden which has a patch of sunlight in the spring/summer time, perfect for growing veggies!

Words which inspire me:

"We ascribe beauty to that which is simple; which has no superfluous parts; which exactly answers its end; which stands related to all things."
Emerson

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family