Drainage Issues.

Options
I was wondering if someone could help with a problem I have with South West Water.

I have a drain on our land that also runs behind a group of 9 houses and eventually joins into South West Waters sewer.

It serves all 9 houses and takes surface water away from the properties and prevents flooding. It was only put in when the houses were built and is only there to serve the houses.

For over 2 years I have had to either battle with my insurers or South West Water to establish ownership of this pipe.

Under the 2011 lateral pipe adoption I thought South West Water adopted lateral drains that join the public sewer, they are after all charging us for taking it away. However they are saying that it is a land drain and nothing to do with them even though it joins to the public sewer.

A land drain however is a drain that runs into a water course or open ditch.

I have contacted the Consumer Council for water but they do not have the authority to over rule South West Waters decision which is:

'Thank you for your time on the phone yesterday with regard to the drains at *********. Whilst I was unable to speak with you earlier today, I am pleased to be able to confirm the situation in writing.

After our conversation yesterday I contacted S*** N****k, Asset Performance Technician again to confirm the situation. He has again re-iterated our position that the drain to the rear of your property is a private drain. I understand your concern that because the drain serves numerous properties and finally ends in our sewer, this would be our responsibility. However, this is a private matter, although the land drain does end up in our sewer, South West Water have not adopted any private drains under the transfer of sewers.

I have also contacted Ofwat & DEFRA who can not do anything unless we prove this pipe should have been adopted.

I have a very detailed report my insurers have had commissioned and even they say that it should be South West Waters.

I feel it does fall to South West Water and I was wondering if this is the sort of thing someone can help me with?

There is an issue of ice forming when the water escapes during the winter and as it is a shared path the public's safety is at risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure